Best way to remind a LOR recommender... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
URMdan

Bronze

Best way to remind a LOR recommender...

Post by URMdan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:32 pm

I gave my LOR recommender 2 months advance notice to write my LOR. I told them that I needed it to be submitted by the 2nd week of October. That has passed and LSAC has yet to process the LOR.

I don't know if the recommender has sent the LOR and LSAC hasn't processed it yet, or if the recommender has forgotten about it altogether. But I need to contact my recommender and find out what's going on. What would be the best way to find out what the deal is with my LOR?

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Re: Best way to remind a LOR recommender...

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:41 pm

URMdan wrote:I gave my LOR recommender 2 months advance notice to write my LOR. I told them that I needed it to be submitted by the 2nd week of October. That has passed and LSAC has yet to process the LOR.

I don't know if the recommender has sent the LOR and LSAC hasn't processed it yet, or if the recommender has forgotten about it altogether. But I need to contact my recommender and find out what's going on. What would be the best way to find out what the deal is with my LOR?
If you are still on campus, I think you should just stop by their office and chat them up. Then, casually bring it up and check the status on it. Just be cool about it.

If they mailed it, it takes a while to get it processed by LSAC. If they havent finished, just remind them and gently push them to hurry it along.

Silver

Post by 2807 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:42 pm

Ugh. Same problem here.

What I do: I contact them and ask "if they need anything more from me" and "if they have any questions about my PS or resume"

If you have not given them a copy of your PS and resume, use that as an ice-breaker.

Also, give them a stamped and addressed envelope to mail the form in.

lalalawya

Bronze

Post by lalalawya » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:43 pm

You can probably say something along the lines of you are preparing your applications to send in by October 30 (or whenever) and want to make sure he did not encounter any problems with sending the letter into LSAC....that way, if he hasn't done it yet, it will be a subtle reminder you need it ASAP, or if he did already send it in and LSAC just hasn't processed yet he will be able to tell you.

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:50 pm

I have mentioned everything said above after they agreed to write it. I gave them a stamped envelope and LSAC's fax. I live at home now, so I am no longer in proximity of her office. She has my PS, resume, and statement of purpose; and i told her I needed it no later than Oct. 12th.

I am thinking about saying something like this:

“Dear Professor Smith,

Since date X is quickly approaching, this is just a reminder to please complete my letter of recommendation at your earliest convenience.

If you have any questions or need any more information, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you again for agreeing to write this letter.”

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:25 pm

URMdan wrote:I have mentioned everything said above after they agreed to write it. I gave them a stamped envelope and LSAC's fax. I live at home now, so I am no longer in proximity of her office. She has my PS, resume, and statement of purpose; and i told her I needed it no later than Oct. 12th.

I am thinking about saying something like this:

“Dear Professor Smith,

Since date X is quickly approaching, this is just a reminder to please complete my letter of recommendation at your earliest convenience.

If you have any questions or need any more information, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you again for agreeing to write this letter.”
This wording assumes the recommender has yet to write the letter. For all you know, s/he sent it but it was lost in the mail. That's not likely, of course, but you should always give those doing you a favor the benefit of the doubt. You also don't know what could be going on in the person's life. My last letter took a while to get in because of a death in the family. People tend to read emails through the lens of their current mood, so choose your words carefully.

I'd suggest something along the lines of:

"Dear Professor X,

Thank you again for agreeing to writer a letter of recommendation for law school on my behalf. I notice it has not yet been received by LSAC, though I understand it can take a few days to process. Have you encountered any problems submitting the letter?
Please let me know if there is anything further I can provide. I truly appreciate the time and effort you have put into this."

moggendaz

New

Post by moggendaz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:46 pm

I'm having a similar issue. My professor emailed me a month ago saying, "I have received your packet in the mail and will work on your letter this weekend (9/3)." It's been over a month and the LSAC has not received the letter yet. I have sent her 2 emails since then, but have received no reply. What should I do? I want to apply for early admissions so the deadline is very soon.

lalalawya

Bronze

Post by lalalawya » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:52 pm

That stinks! Are you on campus still? If so, I would stop by their office. Or, if you have their office number give them a call. If you still aren't receiving a response I guess take it as a hint and forget about it. Do you have enough LOR's without it? Perhaps send in your ED and then send the LOR later when it arrives (if it ever does).
moggendaz wrote:I'm having a similar issue. My professor emailed me a month ago saying, "I have received your packet in the mail and will work on your letter this weekend (9/3)." It's been over a month and the LSAC has not received the letter yet. I have sent her 2 emails since then, but have received no reply. What should I do? I want to apply for early admissions so the deadline is very soon.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:14 pm

Meet him in a dark alley, and then bang, two-by-four to the head.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”