Disclosing medical withdrawal taking place after graduation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
overyourhead

New

Disclosing medical withdrawal taking place after graduation

Post by overyourhead » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:03 am

Upon completion of undergrad, I immediately enrolled as a second bachelor's student for the sole purpose of staying on my father's health insurance plan. A few weeks later, just two weeks into the class I was taking, I was forced to medically withdrawal from the university. For the one class I was taking for enjoyment, I received a WM (withdrawal - medical). I never returned to my undergrad school after regaining my health months later.

The university still classifies me as an "active" second bachelor's student with a hold preventing me from registering until I have a doctor's note. I couldn't care less since I have no intention of returning to the school, however I'm wondering how law schools will view this. Thoughts? According to my transcript (which I'm assuming is identical to the official transcript LSAC received), I'm enrolled as a second bachelor's student with an indefinite hold which took effect in 09/08. Do I need to explain this in my application? If so, where?

Mainly I want to avoid discussing the specific medical condition. It isn't something that affects my fitness as an applicant or potential lawyer.

If I do need to explain why I'm registered as a second bachelor's student at my undergrad university and have a longstanding hold, is my explanation above sufficient? This can't hurt me, right? I re-enrolled to keep my insurance, took a medical leave, and then never returned to school because I started working FT, so I never felt it was necessary to have the hold removed.

thatjuanguy

New

Re: Disclosing medical withdrawal taking place after graduation

Post by thatjuanguy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:01 am

Wouldn't the easiest solution just to be to provide the school w a dr's note to remove the hold so that you don't have to even write anything additional when you're applying?

IF you choose to not do that, no I don't think it will hurt you... it may look a bit odd though.

EDIT: maybe it's late but the second time i read through your post, i don't really understand it at all. your plan, in the status quo, is to write an addendum explaining what - the hold or the withdrawal? also, how can you even get a transcript out from the school if you have your account on hold? i'm also curious if the aba would allow you to be simultaneously enrolled in a second bachelor's program and law school - regardless of what the context is. i'm not sure about this though just something for you to ponder.

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:34 am

thatjuanguy wrote:also, how can you even get a transcript out from the school if you have your account on hold?
+1

I had about $20 in library fines that I had to pay before my school would release my transcript (tightwads), so I'm guessing it would be near impossible for you to get them to send them the transcript with your current status at the school. You probably would also have a difficult time getting a dean's letter stating that you're currently in good standing at the school. So yeah, best to take care of this sooner rather than later.

overyourhead

New

Post by overyourhead » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:48 am

My undergrad university already submitted my transcript and LSAC has received it. According to my account at the school, the medical hold only prevents me from registering.

The policy at the school is that after 3 semesters, I believe, if you haven't taken any courses you are considered "inactive" and are either disenrolled from the program or require special permission to start taking classes again. If I didn't have the medical hold (the expiration date for which is 12/31/2099-- so not anytime soon), I would have been dropped as a student a while ago.

According to my LSAC Academic Summary Report, it acknowledges that I have "graduate" credit from the school (which they define as any credit received after obtaining your bachelor's), however beyond that all it says is to "see transcript." So I don't know what they see.

I can get the hold removed, no problem, but now I'm wondering if that is irrelevant at this point. LSAC already has my initial transcript with the hold presumably, so even if I update it with a new copy of my transcript sans hold, wouldn't they have already seen it? I suppose I can have the hold removed, resubmit my transcript, and then just mention that the classes I took after receiving my B.S. were taken for enjoyment and to maintain my insurance, and the second bachelor's designation merely represents how the school considered me-- not what my academic intentions were.

And it seems ridiculous that the ABA would take issue with the fact that a school still considers me an active student. They want a bachelor's, which I have. I also took classes for fun at another university after receiving my bachelor's. I know I'm still in their system. Should I ask both schools to disenroll me -- or whatever the process would be -- as a student?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”