Should I run a criminal background report for every state? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mr. T

Bronze

Re: Should I run a criminal background report for every state?

Post by Mr. T » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:06 am

existenz wrote:Don't attach your official rap sheet to your app, unless you are trying to brag about what a thug you were.
Dude, I'm not a thug.....just trying to be honest. We all make mistakes.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:08 am

Private agencies pay for access to court records, which are distinct from an actual criminal history. If you've ever been charged, with anything, chances are it will show up in a nationwide background check.

Intelius.com

Spend the $40 or whatever it is and figure out what's on your record.

Also, keep in mind that the bar will ask if you've ever been arrested. And the check they run will be very, very intense and will most likely uncover anything. Thus, if your law school application asks if you've been arrested and you say no, then you're committing to saying no on the C&F questionaire as well. This is bad. Avoid this.

Disclose. Sounds like you have some minor criminal history nobody will care about.

Mr. T

Bronze

Post by Mr. T » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:20 am

Well the conviction from 20 yrs ago I planned to mention - and it shows up.

The more recent dismissal (mentioned earlier in Connecticut) is the one I was really wondering about.

Thoughts?

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:27 am

just ask them if the electronic record contains ALL criminal charges. If you've had anything expunged and can't remember, I think only a few schools say you have to list that. Like GW Law

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:30 am

Mr. T wrote:
existenz wrote:Don't attach your official rap sheet to your app, unless you are trying to brag about what a thug you were.
Dude, I'm not a thug.....just trying to be honest. We all make mistakes.
Actually a rap sheet is probably easier for them to go over, it has all the information neatly organized already so you don't have to do it yourself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Mr. T wrote:Well the conviction from 20 yrs ago I planned to mention - and it shows up.

The more recent dismissal (mentioned earlier in Connecticut) is the one I was really wondering about.

Thoughts?
Disclose. Disclose. Disclose.

Dont' submit a rap sheet. You can't phrase a rap sheet in a positive/less negative light.

Write a thoughtful addendum, disclose, and breathe a sigh of relief.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:28 pm

anstud06 wrote:What information does the star bar take/go after/request when you apply for admission?
omninode wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:There's no need to do this. You are swearing on your application that you are disclosing fully. If you lie, it's not their problem.
But it is the applicant's problem. Your criminal history will be reviewed when you apply for admission to a state bar organization. If they see that you lied or left anything out of your law school app, that is considered a serious ethics violation, and they can totally screw you.

So, if you ever want to be able to practice law, give the school all the information they ask for and make sure it is accurate.
Everything. They ask for everything - charges, arrests, regardless of if expunged or dismissed or whatever - and also ask for your employment and residency histories so they can call do records searches in the places you've lived and claim not to have done anything. If there is something, they'll usually ask for you to arrange that police agency reports and court records are sent to them.

If you don't tell them about something, odds are very good that they'll tell you about it.

Mr. T

Bronze

Post by Mr. T » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:38 pm

I get you guys........just tell em' everything.

I'm sure others here ponder what this will do to their chances of being admitted. I certainly am having these thoughts. But, looking at it, if I can't get in being honest about my past I'd rather find out now than when I'm XXX in debt and have it bite me in the a$$.

I have one misdemeanor from 21 years ago and one from 7 years ago (dismissed) -any thoughts on how this will effect my chances of being admitted? Also, if anyone has an addendum they have written if you could remove the personal stuff and post it I would sure appreciate it. I'm struggling with how to make this "short and sweet" and not become the focus of my app's.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Bro, you're fine. Don't worry about it.

I have no crim. record so I can't help, but send me yours and I'll edit it for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. T

Bronze

Post by Mr. T » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:16 am

I don't know that I am comfortable giving you those details - nothing personal. But, I would be interested in seeing an addendum that was crafted around the need to explain 2 misdemeanors. Anyone?

Mr. T

Bronze

Post by Mr. T » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:32 am

Anyone?

djjf39

Bronze

Post by djjf39 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:01 am

Example (Just Something I made up)

"During DATEX, I was arrested/charged/indicted for BLANK. I was also arrested/charged/indicted for BLANK on DATEX. With respect to the former charge I went to court and the outcome was BLANK. The latter charge resulted in BLANK. While I regret my actions, I have also taken the opportunity to learn from this experience. As part of my plea agreement I participated in several community outreach programs for troubled youth, and have attempted to use my experience to educate and assist others. It has been XAMOUNT of years since these incidents, and I believe I am a better person in spite of my own ill-advised choices. I take full responsibility for my decisions and actions, and would encourage the admissions committee to contact me with any questions."

Very barebones on the circumstance and charge, emphasize what you have done to better yourself/move past the instances.

Goodluck OP.

Edit: didn't see you need two instances at first.

djjf39

Bronze

Post by djjf39 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:23 am

Oh, also, if you feel compelled then I would look into the state bar's C&F requirements to make sure you can clear them. Once you have done that you could put in something like "My inquiries in the character and fitness requirement of StateX's bar lead me to believe I would have no difficulties satisfying the requirements"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr. T

Bronze

Post by Mr. T » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:39 pm

I would add this link to anyone reading to investigate further - it gives the state bar phone numbers for all states.

http://www.ncbex.org/bar-admissions/offices/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”