How to politely let LOR writers know I need them ASAP? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sandro

Gold

How to politely let LOR writers know I need them ASAP?

Post by Sandro » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:37 pm

I know, i should have asked for these months ago. I was an idiot and thought I should wait to ask until i took the LSAT as to avoid needlessly asking if it turns out i bombed it or something. I've spoken to one LOR writer over a year ago about it (when i wasnt sure whether i was going MA or LS route) and am meeting with him next week.

I want to submit my apps by mid Nov at the latest - is there a sneaky/polite way to ask/suggest that they get them in by that time? I am already going to try to get them to fax them.

jarofsoup

Gold

Re: How to politely let LOR writers know I need them ASAP?

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:39 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I know, i should have asked for these months ago. I was an idiot and thought I should wait to ask until i took the LSAT as to avoid needlessly asking if it turns out i bombed it or something. I've spoken to one LOR writer over a year ago about it (when i wasnt sure whether i was going MA or LS route) and am meeting with him next week.

I want to submit my apps by mid Nov at the latest - is there a sneaky/polite way to ask/suggest that they get them in by that time? I am already going to try to get them to fax them.

I need to make ED and EA deadline which is Nov. 1 and LSAC is pokey so hurry the F up.... I blame it on LSAC and them being slow to rush them.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:06 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:I know, i should have asked for these months ago. I was an idiot and thought I should wait to ask until i took the LSAT as to avoid needlessly asking if it turns out i bombed it or something. I've spoken to one LOR writer over a year ago about it (when i wasnt sure whether i was going MA or LS route) and am meeting with him next week.

I need to make ED and EA deadline which is Nov. 1 and LSAC is pokey so hurry the F up.... I blame it on LSAC and them being slow to rush them.
I guess I could try that, say LSAC is veryyyy slow so the sooner the better

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:09 pm

I wrote, "Ideally, I'd like to get my applications out by xxx to increase my chance of getting accepted..." but I'm tight with my professor. Honestly though, it shouldn't take them more than a few hours on a weekend to write your a LOR if that.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:06 pm

Mid November is still a month from now, which is definitely a respectful and appropriate amount of time to ask for LORs. It's not like you're asking them to write this thing and submit it next week. Also, keep in mind that this is part of their job - they're getting paid to serve as references to students! I think people tend to forget that point.

If I were you I would tell them you are applying to law school and planning to send your applications before Thanksgiving. Also let them know that LSAC processing can take awhile, so ask them to submit their letter to LSAC by November 15th at the latest. And then check in with them the first week of November. If your professors are anything like mine, they might even surprise you and send the letters off way before the "deadline."

When I was applying last year I was trying to meet a bunch of Nov 1 EA/ED deadlines, and I asked for a last minute LOR in either late September or early October. I just gave my professor the deadline I was hoping to meet, asked if that would be enough time while assuring her that I would find someone else if it wasn't, and apologized for the late notice. I know some people have LOR horror stories, but waiting until the last minute worked out fine for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

two_wheels_good

New

Post by two_wheels_good » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:04 pm

You're fine. I just got one of my guys to finally submit an eval today. So, one out of 4, and still need all 4 LOR's.
Of course, I'm dealing with lawyers, who always wait until the last minute to do anything (every time I would check in, the first words out of their mouth is "When's it due?" AAAAHHHHGGGG!!!!).

I say the best thing to do is say "I'm trying to start submitting applications by [way early deadline], so I'd like to get all of my LOR's together by [way even earlier deadline] if possible. That way, when they drag their feet, you should still have everything you need in time. And always append it with a "thanks again," or "again, I really appreciate this."

Flett

Bronze

Post by Flett » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:46 am

two_wheels_good wrote:I say the best thing to do is say "I'm trying to start submitting applications by [way early deadline], so I'd like to get all of my LOR's together by [way even earlier deadline] if possible. That way, when they drag their feet, you should still have everything you need in time. And always append it with a "thanks again," or "again, I really appreciate this."
This worked for me. My last LOR was dragging his feet, so last week I sent him an email very similar to this suggestion. LSAC received the letter today. :wink:

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:17 am

You should have given a firm deadline. Most LOR writers actually like having a deadline because it motivates them to get it done.

vicuna

Bronze

Post by vicuna » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:06 am

CastleRock wrote:You should have given a firm deadline. Most LOR writers actually like having a deadline because it motivates them to get it done.
TITCR

My professor asked for a firm deadline and I said, "How about the end of next week?" and he did it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:47 pm

I informed my recommenders that I was applying early decision and would need all my materials in by Nov. 1st.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:47 pm

I know that one of my professors probably won't be able to hit my Nov. 1st deadline that I gave all the other ones - she is the Law Forum Director at my undergrad and therefore, has a waiting list of people wanting to write a letter a mile long. Note that I turned in my PS for the letter mid September.

Now I asked three other people knowing that hers will take awhile, including my thesis adviser. I plan to apply to my top choices and ones with early deadlines (e.g. Boston College's early notification, UVA ED) with my 2 other profs + 1 professional. I have good relations with all my professors and kept in touch with them.

Then I will wait until I get hers to do the rest of the apps - probably mid Nov., right after I take a big trip back east to visit law schools thereby finalizing a couple of Why x law school essays.

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:51 pm

I had good relationships with all of my recommenders, and when I asked in late August for a letter in early October they all seemed like they put it on the back burner, so I sent them an email once a week the last two weeks in September for reminders.

Eventually I just reminded them that the earlier in the cycle I was able to apply the more likely I was to receive financial aid offers, and asked them to let me know once they'd submitted the letters. Everything got submitted in time :)

Don't forget to write prompt thank you letters to your recommenders!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”