148 LSAT. 2.84 gpa Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
reasonable_man

Gold

Re: 148 LSAT. 2.84 gpa

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:04 am

taxguy wrote:I can't believe some of the bad information, not to mention rude posters here.

I am been a tax attorney in business for over thirty years. Let me share some insights to you.

First, I have found that the LSAT is a VERY poor test for law school admission. This is particularly true because of its severaly timed nature. It is unbelievable that the law schools place such as high emphasis on it. However, the test does have a huge impact on admission,and we have to live with it.

Secondly, it is my understanding that the logic games portion of the test,which can be studied for, is only 25% of the entire exam. Thus, suggesting that someone restudy the logic games portion alone may not really help them. It depends on how badly they did on that section in the first place and how much they studied for the test. Frankly, if I had to retake the test, I would focus heavily on critical reading,which represents 50% of the test, unless my understanding of these percentages is incorrect.

Third: Again, how hard did you study for the test? I certianly would retake it, but if you studied a lot and still didn't do well, you will probalby not improve doing the same thing. The definition of idiocy is expecting different results doing the same thing. Try a different approach. Work on your weakest areas. If necessary, take another review course,but change what you were doing.

Finally, assess your career goals. Yes, getting into a law firm from a bottom rung law school won't be an easy task,but it isn't impossible. Consider less competitive paths such as government, public defender's office,working in accounting firms or consulting firms. Keep an open mind. I would also write articles. Law firm partners are impressed by those that have published several articles.

Also, there are many open fields such as tax where you don't need a top law school credential. Consider working and training in some of these fields.

For real? You wrote that crap and you're calling others out for giving bad advice.
Last edited by reasonable_man on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:10 am

I can't wait to see what happens now.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:12 am

taxguy wrote:I can't believe some of the bad information, not to mention rude posters here.

I am been a tax attorney in business for over thirty years. Let me share some insights to you.

First, I have found that the LSAT is a VERY poor test for law school admission. This is particularly true because of its severaly timed nature. It is unbelievable that the law schools place such as high emphasis on it. However, the test does have a huge impact on admission,and we have to live with it.

Secondly, it is my understanding that the logic games portion of the test,which can be studied for, is only 25% of the entire exam. Thus, suggesting that someone restudy the logic games portion alone may not really help them. It depends on how badly they did on that section in the first place and how much they studied for the test. Frankly, if I had to retake the test, I would focus heavily on critical reading,which represents 50% of the test, unless my understanding of these percentages is incorrect.

Third: Again, how hard did you study for the test? I certianly would retake it, but if you studied a lot and still didn't do well, you will probalby not improve doing the same thing. The definition of idiocy is expecting different results doing the same thing. Try a different approach. Work on your weakest areas. If necessary, take another review course,but change what you were doing.

Finally, assess your career goals. Yes, getting into a law firm from a bottom rung law school won't be an easy task,but it isn't impossible. Consider less competitive paths such as government, public defender's office,working in accounting firms or consulting firms. Keep an open mind. I would also write articles. Law firm partners are impressed by those that have published several articles.

Also, there are many open fields such as tax where you don't need a top law school credential. Consider working and training in some of these fields.
With all due respect Taxguy, things are a lot different for new law graduates now than they were 30 years ago. These days, people from top 10 law schools are falling all over themselves to get government jobs or consulting firms. Every job for a fresh law school grad is insanely competitive. Also, as someone just starting out in tax, I can tell you that tax is an insanely competitive specialty for someone just starting out. Check out websites like taxtalent.com where people with good law school credentials are struggling to get ANY tax-related employment. You know things are bad when CPA's who were in the top 10% of their law school class can't get their foot in the door at the IRS.

We aren't saying the OP has no chance of success coming from a school that would let them in with those scores, but that the prospects for success don't outweigh the debt. That's another thing that has changed. Law school now comes with six figures of unsecured debt.
Frankly, if I had to retake the test, I would focus heavily on critical reading,which represents 50% of the test, unless my understanding of these percentages is incorrect.
Critical Reading is 25%. Logical reasoning is 50%.

jr1886

Bronze

Post by jr1886 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:22 am

nealric wrote:

Actually critical reading is 27% lol

Op: Retake. You can do much better. At least get your LSAT score in the mid-150s

With all due respect Taxguy, things are a lot different for new law graduates now than they were 30 years ago. These days, people from top 10 law schools are falling all over themselves to get government jobs or consulting firms. Every job for a fresh law school grad is insanely competitive. Also, as someone just starting out in tax, I can tell you that tax is an insanely competitive specialty for someone just starting out. Check out websites like taxtalent.com where people with good law school credentials are struggling to get ANY tax-related employment. You know things are bad when CPA's who were in the top 10% of their law school class can't get their foot in the door at the IRS.

We aren't saying the OP has no chance of success coming from a school that would let them in with those scores, but that the prospects for success don't outweigh the debt. That's another thing that has changed. Law school now comes with six figures of unsecured debt.
Frankly, if I had to retake the test, I would focus heavily on critical reading,which represents 50% of the test, unless my understanding of these percentages is incorrect.
Critical Reading is 25%. Logical reasoning is 50%.

op-ti

Bronze

Post by op-ti » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:45 am

Pmac wrote:So I bombed the LSAT (obviously), have a lower GPA, and am wondering what my chances are for admission to a few specific schools (hamline, William Mitchell, and university of st Thomas). I graduated from the university of Kansas with a BA in geology. I averaged over a 3.2 gpa over my last two years, participated in multitude of intramural sports and campus clubs, participated in a pre- law institute at Cambridge in England through the university of Kansas. I have glowing recommendation letters from professors, one who is a region admin for the EPA and is a professor for the law school at KU. What are my chance and how can I maximize my credentials for admission?

I think you should definately retake.

Take your time and go for the LSAT next year (will give you plenty of time to prepare), because with your numbers it would be best if you apply early in the LS admission cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:10 am

Thank God for the input from someone who hasn't been in law school for 30 years and doesn't even know what the LSAT tests.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”