Legal assistant jobs Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
prelaw10

New

Legal assistant jobs

Post by prelaw10 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:57 pm

Has anyone tried getting a paralegal/legal assistant job on Craigslist? Is it worth it, or a waste of time?

Also, I see that a lot of jobs are advertised by "legal recruiting firms." Are those legitimate or scams?

Sorry, I know this post doesn't exactly belong here, but I thought it might be ignored on the "Lounge" board. Plus, I AM going the paralegal route to test-drive (hopefully confirm) my decision to go to law school.

Thanks!

gdane

Diamond

Re: Legal assistant jobs

Post by gdane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:18 pm

It depends on where youre looking at. In big cities its more likely to be a scam. Here in Miami those ads are posted on a consistent basis and they're usually some kind of scam. One example was the person that told me that in order to be hired I would have to attend some "training" at a special school that would cost me a couple of hundred dollars. Yea ok buddy. Freakin' scammers.

Give it a shot, but be skeptical.

Good luck!

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:31 pm

I know many of them are legitimate. I recently landed a legal assistant job in a large Texas city, and did it through Craigslist. Some posts may be scams, but a ton of smaller firms recruit directly from C-list. The firm I work at, however, received over 80 resumes for one ad, so it is a terrible way to job search, compared to networking. I spent a lot of time searching and bouncing before ending up in a reputable corporate firm this summer, and I'm happy to answer any other questions if I can.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:41 pm

AP-375 wrote:I know many of them are legitimate. I recently landed a legal assistant job in a large Texas city, and did it through Craigslist. Some posts may be scams, but a ton of smaller firms recruit directly from C-list. The firm I work at, however, received over 80 resumes for one ad, so it is a terrible way to job search, compared to networking. I spent a lot of time searching and bouncing before ending up in a reputable corporate firm this summer, and I'm happy to answer any other questions if I can.
The latter part of your statement was something I forgot to mention.

Its true that most legitimate offers are from smaller firms. These firms receive a million resumes and responses for 1 or 2 jobs. Needless to say the competition is fierce for what really arent glamorous positions. There are better ways to go about getting one of these jobs. Still, give it a try

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:45 pm

gdane5 wrote:There are better ways to go about getting one of these jobs.
So true. I was well-qualified for these positions, but had to apply to many, many positions before getting even one interview. Finally, I networked into my current, much better firm job. A good experience for when I eventually enter the carnage of the JD job market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haveaniceday111

New

Post by haveaniceday111 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:50 am

General rule of thumb - if they ask for money/bank account #/SSN = scam.

Monster, Doostang, and your college career service centers are probably the best resources. These generally weed out the illegit ones.
Craigslist is good, but check with the other ones first.

Good luck!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:29 pm

The ease of getting a paralegal job through craigslist depends on the size of the market. If you're in a larger city like NYC or DC, your best bet is to find a recruting firm and go through them.

I've been a biglaw paralegal for a number of years now. If you would like to ask more questions, please feel free to PM me.

180orbust

New

Post by 180orbust » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:10 pm

I got my paralegal job in NYC from a recruiter I contacted via craigslist. My main job search was craigslist. I got a good amount of responses. If you have a good GPA from a good school, you'll have more luck from just blindly sending out your resume.

Intimate

New

Post by Intimate » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:12 pm

prelaw10 wrote:Has anyone tried getting a paralegal/legal assistant job on Craigslist? Is it worth it, or a waste of time?

Also, I see that a lot of jobs are advertised by "legal recruiting firms." Are those legitimate or scams?

Sorry, I know this post doesn't exactly belong here, but I thought it might be ignored on the "Lounge" board. Plus, I AM going the paralegal route to test-drive (hopefully confirm) my decision to go to law school.

Thanks!

I've sent my app out to over 100 ads, and nothing. I have some experience too...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Intimate

New

Post by Intimate » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:14 pm

haveaniceday111 wrote:General rule of thumb - if they ask for money/bank account #/SSN = scam.

Monster, Doostang, and your college career service centers are probably the best resources. These generally weed out the illegit ones.
Craigslist is good, but check with the other ones first.

Good luck!

RGIS asked for my SSN after hiring me - they got it when I was filling out hiring papers - but they never called me, wtf?

ach24

Bronze

Post by ach24 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:28 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”