Applicant FAQ Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tonysoprano

Bronze

Re: Applicant FAQ

Post by tonysoprano » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:51 pm

Dany wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:In the Education section on the LSAC application, it says to "List the academic honors and awards, or other recognitions you have received." Would I put things like Dean's list, honor rolls, honors program graduate, cum laude, etc. here, even though they're on my resume (honors program, cum laude) and transcript (dean's lists, honor rolls, etc.)?
Yep, fill it out, and don't just put "see resume" or "see transcript" - re-list the information there even if it's duplicated elsewhere.
Thanks!

On a related note, any thoughts on adding jobs that aren't listed on my resume to the education section? In my case, I don't have my campus representative job that I've been pretty successful with; however I didn't find it super relevant to law schools and my resume was full. But I was thinking, since they give me the option to put in new info, that maybe I should list it if there's room for it?

Defendervic

New

Post by Defendervic » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:25 pm

I applied to law school right out of undergrad in 2010. My professor/mentor at the time wrote an awesome "academic" reference letter. It's still on LSAC. Can I still use this? Or would it make more sense to just get 2 LORs from current employers? Mainly, would using a LOR that's that old look bad? (I know I could take the route of looking her up and seeing if she'd be willing to write another, but that just seems so wrong. Like, "Hey, Professor X. I know I haven't spoken to you in 4 years, but do me a favor and write another LOR based purely off your memory, and be sure to mention that I'm awesome".

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:14 am

Defendervic wrote:I applied to law school right out of undergrad in 2010. My professor/mentor at the time wrote an awesome "academic" reference letter. It's still on LSAC. Can I still use this? Or would it make more sense to just get 2 LORs from current employers? Mainly, would using a LOR that's that old look bad? (I know I could take the route of looking her up and seeing if she'd be willing to write another, but that just seems so wrong. Like, "Hey, Professor X. I know I haven't spoken to you in 4 years, but do me a favor and write another LOR based purely off your memory, and be sure to mention that I'm awesome".
use it
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:17 pm

Are we expected to include information about our high schools and primary schools in the education sections of the applications? It doesn't seem like important information, but it explicitly asks for ALL educational institutions attended. Sorry if this has been asked before, did a quick search and couldn't find an answer

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:28 pm

alloverthat wrote:Are we expected to include information about our high schools and primary schools in the education sections of the applications? It doesn't seem like important information, but it explicitly asks for ALL educational institutions attended. Sorry if this has been asked before, did a quick search and couldn't find an answer
If you can select high school from the drop down menu then yes, otherwise no!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:13 am

Do the general recommendations/transcripts/lsat all get attached automatically to the application when it is transmitted? I applied to a school and at no point in the application it asked me to attach transcripts/lsat etc. I used the "assign" button to specify the lors for that particular school but was surprised that the system didn't prompt me to do it. Also the transcripts/lsat score were never added/assigned by me onto the application.
The instruction on the lsac site about this isn't the best can someone break it down.

dmarieb

Bronze

Post by dmarieb » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:00 am

xx
Last edited by dmarieb on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Post by 2654815451 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:13 am

My professor/mock trial coach wrote me a LOR last year. I told him if he didn't mind writing me a newer one, to reflect my later achievements and involvement, then I would appreciate it. He told me that the first one was good, but he didn't mind doing another one at all. I resent him the email to do another one.

Should I go ahead and submit my apps with the old LOR and let LSAC update it automatically with the newer one, or should I wait until I receive the updated one and just send that one alone?

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:55 pm

dmarieb wrote: Your initial application that includes the specific school application, personal statement, and any other essays and addendum will be sent to the school when you submit. Upon receipt, or whenever the school feels like it I guess, they will request the report that includes your transcripts, LSAT, and LORs. If you update your file in any way after the reports are sent, say add a LOR, updated reports will be sent automatically.
so all transcripts/lsat scores is added automatically but lor have to be assigned manually? I read somewhere on this forum that there is nothing one needs to do for general LORs, they will be added to report anyway. if one assigns them by going to credentials->lor then would it duplicate them in the report?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chooy

New

Post by chooy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

Love this thread

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:00 pm

When does CRS update with new scores?

dvc5240

New

Post by dvc5240 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:13 pm

Can someone clarify this application questions?

Confused because I'm applying for JD not LLM... what does "LLM schools" mean here???

"Are you applying to any other LLM schools?"

Given Yes or No choice.

aalvez

New

Mother

Post by aalvez » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:50 pm

I am a mother of a nine year old, I work a full time job and I go to school full time, however until January I only have one class - thank God. I am taking the LSAT in February (application deadline in March 1st), I just started prepping this past week with the Powerscore bibles. My stats:

B.A. Criminal Justice (May 2017)
GPA 3.65

My cold diagnostic was a 150 and I want to get into the University of Texas Law because I have lived in Austin all my life and cannot up-root my family. I am 28, I am a hispanic minority, and I graduated high school 6 months pregnant - I have NEVER given up and I refuse to not get into UT Law. My question is what score would I need on the LSAT? I know UT is hard to get into but I do not have another option... (undergrad is not from UT).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Re: Mother

Post by pleasesendhelp » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:58 pm

aalvez wrote:I am a mother of a nine year old, I work a full time job and I go to school full time, however until January I only have one class - thank God. I am taking the LSAT in February (application deadline in March 1st), I just started prepping this past week with the Powerscore bibles. My stats:

GPA 3.65

My cold diagnostic was a 150 and I want to get into the University of Texas Law because I have lived in Austin all my life and cannot up-root my family. I am 28, I am a hispanic minority, and I graduated high school 6 months pregnant - I have NEVER given up and I refuse to not get into UT Law. My question is what score would I need on the LSAT? I know UT is hard to get into but I do not have another option... (undergrad is not from UT).
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?res ... zYHqq5Gl9g

If you look here, the LSAT score you need lies between a 162 - 167. You may be considered an under represented minority. I can't be sure since not all hispanics are considered URM. I believe Mexicans are definitely considered URM. If you do qualify then you can probably get into UT with a 160.

Regardless, study hard and get the highest possible score you can get! A higher score = more scholarship money. Goodluck!

aalvez

New

Post by aalvez » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:11 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
aalvez wrote:I am a mother of a nine year old, I work a full time job and I go to school full time, however until January I only have one class - thank God. I am taking the LSAT in February (application deadline in March 1st), I just started prepping this past week with the Powerscore bibles. My stats:

GPA 3.65

If you look here, the LSAT score you need lies between a 162 - 167. You may be considered an under represented minority. I can't be sure since not all hispanics are considered URM. I believe Mexicans are definitely considered URM. If you do qualify then you can probably get into UT with a 160.

Regardless, study hard and get the highest possible score you can get! A higher score = more scholarship money. Goodluck!

Thank you! My father was born in Mexico and neither him nor my mom graduated high school, so I am holding onto hope that I get in. My husband and I have worked so hard to ensure that I can concentrate on law school full time and stop working once I am in.

I have driven myself crazy thinking that there is no way I can get in and I needed to hear some reassurance.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:14 pm

aalvez wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:

GPA 3.65

Thank you! My father was born in Mexico and neither him nor my mom graduated high school, so I am holding onto hope that I get in. My husband and I have worked so hard to ensure that I can concentrate on law school full time and stop working once I am in.

I have driven myself crazy thinking that there is no way I can get in and I needed to hear some reassurance.
I went from a 146 to a 169, and many others have seen dramatic improvements as well. It sounds like you are a very committed and diligent individual, so it is definitely doable for you to get into the 160 range.

aalvez

New

Post by aalvez » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:51 pm

Thank you!!!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dvc5240

New

Post by dvc5240 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:21 pm

Hey everyone,

I began submitting applications about a month ago. During that time, I had just moved to Colorado and was wrapping up a temporary/remote work position that was not extremely law school relevant (working as an assistant for small real estate company). A few weeks ago, I started my new position working for the Colorado DNR within the Parks and Wildlife department. I am working in land conservation as a program assistant to the legal team. Since I am planning to pursue environmental law, this is a great and very relevant experience.

My question... I have not heard back from any schools yet (early still I know), so I was wondering if I should send an updated resume with this new job included?

Would love anyone's feedback/thoughts and knowledge to if there is a specific protocol (outside of what the specific schools require).

Thanks in advance!

nynina

New

Post by nynina » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:47 am

-

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:03 am

I submitted an application last Wednesday afternoon and haven't heard anything from the school yet about how they received the application. How long do I wait before contacting them?

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:29 pm

KME89 wrote:I submitted an application last Wednesday afternoon and haven't heard anything from the school yet about how they received the application. How long do I wait before contacting them?
I'd say at lease another week or so. Admissions staff are super busy this time of year and may not appreciate being asked about an individual application. Most applications say, albeit in a less blunt way, "Don't call us, we'll call you".

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

superpickle

New

Post by superpickle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:46 pm

I submitted my apps in mid-December. Mostly t14 schools, none of which I've heard back from. I applied to Arizona State University as a super safe school because it's my alma mater. They got back to me almost immediately (I have a 179 LSAT so I'm a pretty rare applicant for them) and have offered a 50% scholarship, but said they'll negotiate more if I commit to them. In the past month the dean of admissions has called, and a 1L student has called, to leave me voicemails congratulating me and asking if I have any questions, giving their cell numbers as contact. So I know they want me and am fairly sure I could move the 50% scholarship to 100%, but I really want to hear back from my dream school (NU) before making any moves.

Anyone have advice on getting back to ASU while I wait? Should I respond to thank them for their interest and drag out scholarship negotiations while I wait, thank them and tell them I'm still waiting on other schools, or just put them off another few weeks until the other schools start to respond?

Thanks!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:56 pm

great questions

memphislawstudent

New

Post by memphislawstudent » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:22 am

I am in the process of appealing my fee wavier. Can anyone please help me out with this process! PLEASE

montanav

New

Post by montanav » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:53 pm

Please help. I took the September LSAT but I'm retaking in November. Can I submit my application without the November LSAT even if my September LSAT is not on par? Will it auto-update? Will it hurt my chances to submit without the November one?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”