Attending Houston Law School Forum Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abarrios

Bronze

Attending Houston Law School Forum

Post by abarrios » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:10 pm

I plan on attending the law school forum in Houston. By this time, I should have all of my applications complete (It's on November 20th I think). Is this a good chance to help myself gain admissions to certain schools which I am right at or below the medians?

Has anyone else ever been to one of these things? If so, any advice?

achilles

Bronze

Re: Attending Houston Law School Forum

Post by achilles » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:17 pm

I'm planning to attend it too, and am wondering the same thing. I'm hoping it does, because I doubt that I will have heard back from any schools by then
Last edited by achilles on Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abarrios

Bronze

Post by abarrios » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:46 pm

Bump

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:52 pm

It doesnt help your chances of admission in any way shape or form to attend these forums. The representatives at these things are usually not high level administrators or professors (people that decide whether youre admitted or not) and they see thousands of people so its very likely that they wouldnt remember you.

If youre going with the intentions of trying to "boost" your chances, dont go. Its a waste of time. Spend that time doing something else.

Good luck!

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:43 pm

I went to the Houston forum last year. It was OK.... They had a few seminars on different topics, diversity, LSAT, what to expect etc... given by current and former deans. Basically besides that it was a room filled with various schools and for most decent schools I had to wait 5-10 minutes in a line to speak with the representative that basically did nothing more than hand me a packet of pictures and facts about the school and take one or two questions. It seemed as if only general questions were appropriate, such as: do you average LSAT scores, or how is the (city where the school is). They referred me to call the school for anything specific such as index #'s, "splitter" questions, retake senarios etc.

One thing I found funny that I urge you to try and notice-It seems as if almost every school (that I spoke to @ the forum) said the classic phrase "well, we look far beyond the numbers" or "you are much more than just a number when you apply here at ____." (I guess I am kind of bias/pessimistic towards the process, so this is just MY observation)

All-in-all, like the above people mentioned, if you are going purely to shake hands and kiss butt, I wouldn't waste your time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ASButler

New

Post by ASButler » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:33 pm

I will be there, too!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:12 am

Going to the forum will not give you any advantages that emailing the school or searching on TLS could not confer upon you. You might get a fee waiver from the representative but dont expect to just waltz up and ask for one. I went to the forum in my city because it was a mile from where I live and collecting a bunch of view books sounded fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”