Oct. Retake --> When Should I Begin Applying? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WeX11788

New

Oct. Retake --> When Should I Begin Applying?

Post by WeX11788 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:17 pm

I originally took the LSAT in June 2009 and did awful. By the way things look, my upcoming October LSAT score is going to jump 10 points or more.

- When should I begin applying? I am obviously worried about my original score being seen without my new score being available. Should I begin applying now and simply wait for my new score to be given or should I hold off on starting my app altogether until my new score is posted? Although it is early in the game for applications, I feel incredibly rushed for some reason. Schools I am applying to are Fordham, GW, FSU, Cardozo, etc. (Just so you can get a feel for where I'm at as far as a prospective law school student. Not sure if it's relevant or not.)

- Also, a question on addendums. I figure I should definitely write an addendum explaining my original score--am I right in assuming this? Again, there is going to be a DRASTIC increase on my new score.

- Is there a particular format for addendums? How are they submitted (mail, electronically, etc). I never even knew that they existed until I joined this site.

Thanks so much for the help, I really need it!

jfb

Bronze

Re: Oct. Retake --> When Should I Begin Applying?

Post by jfb » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:23 pm

WeX11788 wrote:I originally took the LSAT in June 2009 and did awful. By the way things look, my upcoming October LSAT score is going to jump 10 points or more.

- When should I begin applying? I am obviously worried about my original score being seen without my new score being available. Should I begin applying now and simply wait for my new score to be given or should I hold off until my new score is posted? Schools I am applying to are Fordham, GW, FSU, Cardozo, etc. (Just so you can get a feel for where I'm at as far as a prospective law school student. Not sure if it's relevant or not.)

- Also, a question on addendums. I figure I should definitely write an addendum explaining my original score--am I right in assuming this? Again, there is going to be a DRASTIC increase on my new score.

- Is there a particular format for addendums? How are they submitted (mail, electronically, etc). I never even knew that they existed until I joined this site.

Thanks so much for the help, I really need it!

In the same situation with my retake coming up. From everything that I've read on here and from other sources, you should wait until your retake score is released. Get your apps together during Oct. and apply early November. Before Thanksgiving is still considered early. You don't want your app to end up at the bottom of a stack because of your first score.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:11 am

From what I have been recently told by several people on this forum, apparently you can apply now, because at many schools you won't be considered 'complete' if you have a future pending LSAT coming up. I would check with your school choices to make sure.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:17 am

If you have the time, you can put together your apps on LSAC now, just wait to submit them. Getting apps in in mid-November is still very early. I'd write an addendum based on your assumption, but also have a strategy in mind in case you don't get the score bump you want. You might also want to have a list of the schools you're willing to pay to apply to so that you can submit those apps w/o worrying about waiting for fee waivers.

jfb

Bronze

Post by jfb » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:33 am

homestyle28 wrote:If you have the time, you can put together your apps on LSAC now, just wait to submit them. Getting apps in in mid-November is still very early. I'd write an addendum based on your assumption, but also have a strategy in mind in case you don't get the score bump you want. You might also want to have a list of the schools you're willing to pay to apply to so that you can submit those apps w/o worrying about waiting for fee waivers.

This may not be accurate, but if your numbers make you competitive, can't you also call and ask for a fee waiver from many schools so that you don't have to wait to see if they will send one?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:48 am

3 weeks between Oct 9 and Halloween is plenty of time to get your apps together, just do that and have them ready to submit as soon as your score arrives.

Do you have a reason for doing 10+ points worse on the first? Like a legitimate reason? Or is it just that you didn't take it seriously. If you write an addendum that says that you didn't study enough or take the test seriously, I think it could do more to hurt you.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:27 am

2014 wrote:3 weeks between Oct 9 and Halloween is plenty of time to get your apps together, just do that and have them ready to submit as soon as your score arrives.

Do you have a reason for doing 10+ points worse on the first? Like a legitimate reason? Or is it just that you didn't take it seriously. If you write an addendum that says that you didn't study enough or take the test seriously, I think it could do more to hurt you.
I am not trying to hi-jack this thread, but:
Given if I were to go up 10+ points

Would you consider at the time of taking the LSAT 9/2009, I was taking 18 hours of upper level classes, and President of three student organizations (two are directly law/pre-law related) to be a legitimate reason for a poor score? After receiving my 9/2009 score 3 weeks later, I signed up for the December test, but felt that graduation, along with a longer preparation time would suit be best to take the test later(Oct/2010), rather than another bad score - I was "absent" and couldn't cancel because of the 3-week rule.... :roll:

On one hand I can see where it could looks as if my priorities were not inline with directly going to law school.

On the other hand, I can see where it could look that maybe I just had a lot on my plate and now that I have graduated, I am now (hopefully) receiving a much more representative score near my potential.

Basically is my above-mentioned situation worthy of writing an adendum, or would it be best to let the better of two total scores(+ 1 no-show) speak for itself?
edit- I am applying mainly for Tier 3ish schools, if that makes any difference.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:31 am

While that is obviously a high level of commitment and most people in your situation would probably do worse on the LSAT under those time constraints, the question is whether an addendum is necessary.

If the adcomms have a copy of your transcript, which they will from LSDAS, they will know you took 18 credits and that they were upper level from the course numbers.

If they have your resume, they will know that you were president of three organizations.

If they have your personal statement, I wouldn't doubt that you would end up writing about your involvement in some way.

If all of that is true, then what does an addendum add to your application other than it requires them to spend more time on your application being notified of things they already knew?

Only you can answer the question obviously, but I believe that you should let an LSAT score speak for itself unless you have medical, emotional, or test center issues to justify the low score.

WeX11788

New

Post by WeX11788 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:32 pm

Everyone, thanks for the insight! I greatly I appreciate it.

Now, my final question, is there any strict format of the addendums? Is it submitted through mail/electronically/etc. (or is it different from each school?) Will it be self-explanitory when I apply? Is it just a simple letter with a written explanation? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”