Early Decision Deadline Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
txadv11

Silver

Early Decision Deadline Question

Post by txadv11 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:41 pm

I'm applying to quite a few schools in the coming months. I have one particular school in mind (Texas Tech), and would like to try for an early decision. The deadline for early applications at said school is November 1. Typically an October LSAT taker could apply sometime soon and then "go complete" on November 1, thus making the deadline. My problem is that I have one prior LSAT score, and that score is about ten points less than I am expecting/hoping for next month. Do I risk ''going complete'' now if I apply? I am very unlikely to get accepted with my single current score, but reasonably positive that October's score would get me in earlier in the cycle. Another question, I'll probably need an addendum to explain a 10 (or more) point jump, therefore I couldn't write one now with any specific number.... what should I do? I called the school and got little help from a student-admissions representative.

edit- Sorry if this specific situation has been addressed in another thread, I tried to search and couldn't find much.

DearCan

Bronze

Re: Early Decision Deadline Question

Post by DearCan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:47 pm

txadv11 wrote:I'm applying to quite a few schools in the coming months. I have one particular school in mind (Texas Tech), and would like to try for an early decision. The deadline for early applications at said school is November 1. Typically an October LSAT taker could apply sometime soon and then "go complete" on November 1, thus making the deadline. My problem is that I have one prior LSAT score, and that score is about ten points less than I am expecting/hoping for next month. Do I risk ''going complete'' now if I apply? I am very unlikely to get accepted with my single current score, but reasonably positive that October's score would get me in earlier in the cycle. Another question, I'll probably need an addendum to explain a 10 (or more) point jump, therefore I couldn't write one now with any specific number.... what should I do? I called the school and got little help from a student-admissions representative.

edit- Sorry if this specific situation has been addressed in another thread, I tried to search and couldn't find much.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can go complete if you are registered for a future LSAT and the score hasn't been released yet.

As for the addendum, I think you can go complete once the score comes out and then submit an addendum separately.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:55 pm

I believe a pending LSAT will stop you from going complete, however call and ask them again (some reps are more helpful than others) to verify or at least to put a note on your file to wait until your retake to evaluate.

Unless they request it or you had a medical/serious issue the first time, I wouldn't submit an addendum.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:10 pm

Thanks for the info!

Another glance at the school's website found this:
Submit the admission application to the Admissions Office by November 1. Applications postmarked after November 1 will be considered with applications in the regular admission process. If you are submitting an electronic application through LSDAS, you must submit your application by midnight, November 1.
but also
To be considered for the Early Decision Program, your law school application file must be complete by November 10. The official copies of your transcripts must be received and processed by LSDAS by November 10. Also, your LSDAS file must be complete by November 10, including any letters of recommendation you are submitting through the Letter of Recommendation Service provided by LSDAS. If the letters of recommendation are being sent directly to the Texas Tech University School of Law, we must receive them by November 10.
hmmm... So as long as I 'apply' before Nov 2, lsac has another week to send them my stuff?

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:42 pm

Yeah, just get your app in on or before Nov. 1st, and LSAC will take care of the rest. Just be sure everything is ready to go complete before that LSAT score comes out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:59 am

Wow, I just took a look at the application. Texas Tech does NOT ACCEPT LOR's, AND REQUIRE 2 of those new evaluation things. I am out of undergrad and already have had my LOR's for months. I thought the evaluations were optional, if even accepted....not replacings LORS......

Crap. This is my #1 choice, looks like I have some phone calls to make....

Anyone else experiencing this? I thought almost no school (certainly no tier 3ish schools) would REQUIRE this evaluation because this just became the new option within the past couple of months..

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:07 pm

txadv11 wrote:Wow, I just took a look at the application. Texas Tech does NOT ACCEPT LOR's, AND REQUIRE 2 of those new evaluation things. I am out of undergrad and already have had my LOR's for months. I thought the evaluations were optional, if even accepted....not replacings LORS......

Crap. This is my #1 choice, looks like I have some phone calls to make....

Anyone else experiencing this? I thought almost no school (certainly no tier 3ish schools) would REQUIRE this evaluation because this just became the new option within the past couple of months..

I think they must have gotten a few complaints. I saw that they were REQUIRING only Evaluations and not accepting LORs early last month, but when I checked today it said either one of each or two/three LORs or Evaluations.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”