Totally forgot about this... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DearCan

Bronze

Totally forgot about this...

Post by DearCan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:39 am

So, I was written up once freshman year for drinking. I just sat down to write my addendum and realized I had completely forgotten about another incident. My sophomore year I was caught by excise driving an of age friend to get alcohol. I was 20, so bam, illegal transportation. I paid the fine, took the class. Do I really need to write about "what I've learned" from this considering it was 6 years ago?

robotclubmember

Silver

Re: Totally forgot about this...

Post by robotclubmember » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:53 am

DearCan wrote:So, I was written up once freshman year for drinking. I just sat down to write my addendum and realized I had completely forgotten about another incident. My sophomore year I was caught by excise driving an of age friend to get alcohol. I was 20, so bam, illegal transportation. I paid the fine, took the class. Do I really need to write about "what I've learned" from this considering it was 6 years ago?
In some situations, an explanation is not needed, but in others, when there is room for interpretation, come to the conclusion for your adcomm through an addendum before letting them come to their own conclusion. If it's "Illegal Transportation," and there is no additional explanation of that, wouldn't you want to explain the minor infraction before letting them scratch their heads and wonder what the hell that means you did?

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:59 am

robotclubmember wrote:
DearCan wrote:So, I was written up once freshman year for drinking. I just sat down to write my addendum and realized I had completely forgotten about another incident. My sophomore year I was caught by excise driving an of age friend to get alcohol. I was 20, so bam, illegal transportation. I paid the fine, took the class. Do I really need to write about "what I've learned" from this considering it was 6 years ago?
In some situations, an explanation is not needed, but in others, when there is room for interpretation, come to the conclusion for your adcomm through an addendum before letting them come to their own conclusion. If it's "Illegal Transportation," and there is no additional explanation of that, wouldn't you want to explain the minor infraction before letting them scratch their heads and wonder what the hell that means you did?
I think maybe you're misunderstanding. This is what my addendum looks like.

"In the fall of 2004 I drove a friend who was of age to buy alcohol. We were stopped by excise police and I was cited for transporting alcohol under the age of twenty-one. I paid a fine and completed a drug and alcohol course."

I then state briefly that it was an isolated incident and it was expunged. My question is whether it's really necessary for me to write a "I learned a great deal from this experience..." sentence.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:00 am

"Illegal Transportation" sounds like you were a driver for a bootleg operation that required you to cross state lines.
Your explanation raises questions. What are "excise police" (suggests that the alcohol was untaxed & that you were engaged in smuggling operations as is common with tobacco products purchased in North Carolina or on Indian Reservations to be resold without paying the required taxes).
What you learned from this experience might be to drive a faster car at night without headlights.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:02 am

CanadianWolf wrote:"Illegal Transportation" sounds like you were a driver for a bootleg operation that required you to cross state lines.
Haha, it does. It's a bit of a silly law in my opinion, and I wasn't even aware it WAS a law at the time. Oh, to be young and naive...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:03 am

DearCan wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:

"In the fall of 2004 I drove a friend who was of age to buy alcohol. We were stopped by excise police and I was cited for transporting alcohol under the age of twenty-one. I paid a fine and completed a drug and alcohol course."

I then state briefly that it was an isolated incident and it was expunged. My question is whether it's really necessary for me to write a "I learned a great deal from this experience..." sentence.
Considering you have two alcohol related infractions (one for drinking, one for transporting), they will add up to more than the sum of their parts. It starts to look more like a trend than an isolated incident. So yes, you should say you learned something from it.

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:07 am

robotclubmember wrote:
DearCan wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:

Considering you have two alcohol related infractions (one for drinking, one for transporting), they will add up to more than the sum of their parts. It starts to look more like a trend than an isolated incident. So yes, you should say you learned something from it.
Even after six years? I feel like anything I could possibly say now is just going to sound disingenuous. Any other thoughts out there?

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:15 am

CanadianWolf wrote:"Illegal Transportation" sounds like you were a driver for a bootleg operation that required you to cross state lines.
Your explanation raises questions. What are "excise police" (suggests that the alcohol was untaxed & that you were engaged in smuggling operations as is common with tobacco products purchased in North Carolina or on Indian Reservations to be resold without paying the required taxes).
What you learned from this experience might be to drive a faster car at night without headlights.
Ha, I guess excise police don't frequent every college campus. They're almost like rent-a-cops. Their express purpose is to catch college kids doing crazy things. I later learned that they often stake out liquor stores looking for people who drive, but stay in the car while the passenger goes in and buys the alcohol. Bust.

I'll change that part to campus police I guess, even though they're not connected in any way.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:57 pm

"Written up"? By whom? If the police/courts weren't involved then this sounds like just a housing rule violation which I dont believe you need to disclose, as theres no record.

Also, I hope you've learned to disregard "help" by robo by now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:05 pm

From someone who just went through this process, just list the incident, date and disposition. If they want more info they will ask.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:25 am

DearCan wrote:I later learned that they often stake out liquor stores looking for people who drive, but stay in the car while the passenger goes in and buys the alcohol. Bust.
I don't see why this is illegal, even if the driver was under 21, as long as the alcohol isn't opened in the car.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:22 am

im_blue wrote:
DearCan wrote:I later learned that they often stake out liquor stores looking for people who drive, but stay in the car while the passenger goes in and buys the alcohol. Bust.
I don't see why this is illegal, even if the driver was under 21, as long as the alcohol isn't opened in the car.
That is what I thought also.....

OP the only state I've heard of with a crazy law like that is Illinois. Is that where you are from?

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 pm

txadv11 wrote:
im_blue wrote:
That is what I thought also.....

OP the only state I've heard of with a crazy law like that is Illinois. Is that where you are from?
Indiana. It's against the law unless your parent or guardian is in the car with you. I've always thought it was a stupid law, and now I feel that even more so learning it's not very common.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MichaelB123

New

Post by MichaelB123 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:41 pm

I hate being the one to have to say this, but you should seriously reconsider going into the legal profession. You obviously have an alcohol problem. This is probably what caused your poor grades as an undergrad. Unless you really think you can get a hold on your problem, then you should do some serious soul-searching and decide whether law is a suitable profession.

These tickets, as well as your unsatisfactory grades, will also be very likely to keep you out of any school even worth attending. Sure, you can go to a tier 3 or 4 school, but even then you may not be able to pass the character and fitess test when you get to the state bar.

In short, if I was in your position I would count my blessings and keep the job I have, rather than going down a road that will be very likely to lead to disaster in your situation.

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:52 pm

MichaelB123 wrote:I hate being the one to have to say this, but you should seriously reconsider going into the legal profession. You obviously have an alcohol problem. This is probably what caused your poor grades as an undergrad. Unless you really think you can get a hold on your problem, then you should do some serious soul-searching and decide whether law is a suitable profession.

These tickets, as well as your unsatisfactory grades, will also be very likely to keep you out of any school even worth attending. Sure, you can go to a tier 3 or 4 school, but even then you may not be able to pass the character and fitess test when you get to the state bar.

In short, if I was in your position I would count my blessings and keep the job I have, rather than going down a road that will be very likely to lead to disaster in your situation.
One ticket, and I wasn't drinking, I was driving SOBER. Getting caught drinking in the dorms as a freshman =/= drinking problem, it's pretty common.

Couple that with the fact that both of these incidents happened over 6 years ago, the last of which was in my third semester of school, I think you're making a broad generalization about me without enough evidence. Thanks for the advice.

MichaelB123

New

Post by MichaelB123 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:55 pm

g
Last edited by MichaelB123 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wildcathighfive

Bronze

Post by wildcathighfive » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:56 pm

DearCan wrote:
MichaelB123 wrote:I hate being the one to have to say this, but you should seriously reconsider going into the legal profession. You obviously have an alcohol problem. This is probably what caused your poor grades as an undergrad. Unless you really think you can get a hold on your problem, then you should do some serious soul-searching and decide whether law is a suitable profession.

One ticket, and I wasn't drinking, I was driving SOBER. Getting caught drinking in the dorms as a freshman =/= drinking problem, it's pretty common.

Couple that with the fact that both of these incidents happened over 6 years ago, the last of which was in my third semester of school, I think you're making a broad generalization about me without enough evidence. Thanks for the advice.
Pretty sure Michael B. was joking

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MichaelB123

New

Post by MichaelB123 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:00 pm

wildcathighfive wrote:
DearCan wrote:

Haha yea I was. Sorry, I'm just bored at work. I saw people saying that to you yesterday, DearCan, and I thought it'd be funny to do it again.

Good luck with your cycle.

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:02 pm

MichaelB123 wrote:
wildcathighfive wrote:
DearCan wrote:

Haha yea I was. Sorry, I'm just bored at work. I saw people saying that to you yesterday, DearCan, and I thought it'd be funny to do it again.

Good luck with your cycle.
Ha, my joke detector is obviously broken.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”