Applications won't give enough space to input information Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iwanta170

Bronze

Applications won't give enough space to input information

Post by iwanta170 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:45 pm

Half of these applications have very small boxes that I can't fit some of my information in, even if I condense it. For example, Boston College says "please list all of your honors and awards" but only gives me one line. Some of my text is being flushed onto the next line which is sitting outside of the box, though it still lets me save it. Will adcomms be able to see this information?

sarahh

Silver

Re: Applications won't give enough space to input information

Post by sarahh » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:08 pm

I had the same problem with the Stanford application. They will only be able to see what you can see in the PDF version. You should be able to list everything on your resume, even if it won't fit in the application itself.

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:08 pm

I don't think you can even save/submit when it's outside of the box, and no, they can't see it. I just put "please see attached resume."

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:09 pm

Put it in the resume.

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:22 pm

So should we fit the most important stuff in the box and then at the end put (See resume for more)

or should we leave the box blank and put See resume

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:23 pm

iwanta170 wrote:So should we fit the most important stuff in the box and then add the end put (See resume for more)

Fill the box as much as you can, probably with the most important stuff. They will then see everything else when they read your resume. Most of the schools specifically say to put stuff in there and don't say "see resume."

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:28 pm

bk187 wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:So should we fit the most important stuff in the box and then add the end put (See resume for more)

Fill the box as much as you can, probably with the most important stuff. They will then see everything else when they read your resume. Most of the schools specifically say to put stuff in there and don't say "see resume."
Some school also allow you to attach addenda if you can't fit it in the allotted space. However I would just put as much as you could, and leave the last bit of space for "More on resume."

You have to preview the PDF before you submit your applications. Just check all the fields for overflow. The text validation tool on LSAC's system doesn't always do a good job, and sometimes even text that is supposed to fit gets truncated, other times it tries to break long lines into 2 lines thereby obscuring ALL of it. Just read the PDF carefully and edit when necessary.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”