Law school bubble burst? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
predent/prelaw

Bronze

Law school bubble burst?

Post by predent/prelaw » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:35 am

I have recently completely changed directions from a bandwagon predental/med student to my real dream of working in law. From what I can see law is loosing in terms of prelaw undergraduate students in comparison to premed (or other health professions) From my experience it seems everyone I talk to in my classes wants to be a doctor/dentist/vet.....so on. I cannot find a yearly stats comparison on law school admissions but I know med and dent schools stats have skyrocketed in the last decade. To the point, are law school stats experiencing a "stats recession" because of the economic recession? If so, will prehealth or prelaw students get the last laugh?

blsingindisguise

Silver

Re: Law school bubble burst?

Post by blsingindisguise » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:39 am

lol no, lsat sittings, applications and median stats at law schools are all up.

The bubble will burst in a few years but due to demographics, not the economy.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:00 am

The bubble will burst when people start defaulting on their student loans because they simply cannot pay them. Right now plenty of people are not getting jobs, but it hasn't been long enough for a meaningful sample to default. That is my opinion at least.

If people miss payments in mass, the potential exists for the government, who is the one responsible for the loans and would have to be the one pursuing legal action, to get frustrated and change policies regarding how easily gradplus loans are granted.

At that point the bubble will potentially "burst" because less people will be allowed access to funds and therefore less people will be able to access law school.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:47 pm

predent/prelaw wrote: From my experience it seems everyone I talk to in my classes wants to be a doctor/dentist/vet.....so on.

Given you were pre-med, this is to be expected, no?

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:49 pm

trudat15 wrote:
predent/prelaw wrote: From my experience it seems everyone I talk to in my classes wants to be a doctor/dentist/vet.....so on.

Given you were pre-med, this is to be expected, no?
Wondering about that myself...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”