Should I take a year off? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ns77770

Bronze

Should I take a year off?

Post by ns77770 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:15 pm

This is a decision I have really struggled with. I have a 3.9+ GPA but a sub 160 lsat score. At this point I'm feeling pretty burned out from school and think a year off might do some good for me, and this would also give me a chance to study smarter for the LSAT and retake it. On other other hand I could probably go to a pretty good state school if I went straight through. I'm kinda thinking out loud and would appreciate any comments.

MrKappus

Gold

Re: Should I take a year off?

Post by MrKappus » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:18 pm

Pros:
- Something to talk about during interviews besides clubs and activities
- Year paying bills, supporting yourself, and getting experience in the "real world"
- Possibility of gaining exposure to some aspect of the legal profession
- Chance to meet lawyers and talk to them about their jobs
- Avoiding burnout brought on by 7 straight years of school
- Waiting one more year for the economy to right itself
- Option of moving anywhere you want (at least, assuming you can get a job) and getting a foothold in a mkt you want to live in

Con:
- Passing up the option of a really good state school (??)

Take a year off. You'll be glad you did.

AnimalSpirits

New

Post by AnimalSpirits » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:24 pm

I am of the opinion that anyone who asks the question "should I take a year off" should take a year off. You'll be able to be out in the real world instead of the artificial one that crops up while you're still in school, and it should give you some more perspective toward further schooling. Not only that, but you'll be able to prep for the LSAT better, so it is a win-win.

You're only really forgoing starting at the decent state school next year, which will still be there the following year.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Yes.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:33 pm

take the year off, and see how you feel afterwords.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:49 pm

If you are feeling burnt out now, you will be feeling hopeless after a month of law school. Take the year off and recharge.

CurbYourEnthusiasm

New

Post by CurbYourEnthusiasm » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Take a year off man and enjoy life. I am doing it now and love my decision. I spent my summer focused on the LSATs and improved my practice score a lot during that time. I start work this week (sucks it couldnt start until after the test), so I will be making decent money which I plan on putting toward law school/apartment. I also plan right before law school to travel somewhere with friends just to take a break from work and stuff. It really hits you in September, like wow this is the first September where I haven't been in some sort of schooling since I was 5. Its a pretty cool feeling. Most of my friends are working 9-7 jobs and are completely MISERABLE. They literally count down the days until they can retire which is really sad.

To sum up, take a year off and do something you'll enjoy and make some money. You wont regret it.

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:07 pm

I was in a similar situation about a month ago and have since decided to take next year off. I've got high LSAT but gpa isn't where I want it to be. Waiting a year will let me include my senior year grades in my GPA and give me more time to research schools, get letters of rec, etc. Also, the only reasons I had for going straight through seemed to be more emotional (ie. immature things like getting to brag to graduating classmates about what school I was going to) rather than rationale.

Plus, who knows, maybe the economy will be better 4 years from now than it will be 3 years from now. It can't really get worse, and if it does we'll probably be living in some apocalyptic Mad-Max world where they don't need lawyers anyway.

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:24 pm

CurbYourEnthusiasm wrote:Take a year off man and enjoy life. I am doing it now and love my decision. I spent my summer focused on the LSATs and improved my practice score a lot during that time. I start work this week (sucks it couldnt start until after the test), so I will be making decent money which I plan on putting toward law school/apartment. I also plan right before law school to travel somewhere with friends just to take a break from work and stuff. It really hits you in September, like wow this is the first September where I haven't been in some sort of schooling since I was 5. Its a pretty cool feeling. Most of my friends are working 9-7 jobs and are completely MISERABLE. They literally count down the days until they can retire which is really sad.

To sum up, take a year off and do something you'll enjoy and make some money. You wont regret it.

Wow yeah that must be weird! And yeah the more I think about it, the more it seems like a good idea. I'm still going back and forth and a lot will depend on the type of job I'll be able to do during my off year.

pattymac

Bronze

Post by pattymac » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Currently taking the year off. It sucks delaying (and i'm considering law part time) but it'll pay off in the end. Don't waste that stellar GPA man, I bet a 170+ could land you a pretty decent scholly at a t14.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”