Should I drop? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ctxmike

New

Should I drop?

Post by ctxmike » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:14 pm

I'm a transfer student beginning my first year at a top 20 uni (attended a low-tier state school my freshman year and maintained a 4.0 before transferring). I enjoyed chemistry in high school and enjoyed an intriguing, but very arduous biology course my freshman year, so I decided to take Chemistry 1 this year. Unfortunately, I've found this to be a tremendous mistake. With boring labs, uninteresting lectures, and surrounded by 90% pre-meds, I am absolutely miserable in my current circumstances (in retrospect, I have no idea what I was thinking).

As of now, I'm taking 16 hours, so if I drop, I'll receive a "W" and will still be at the 12 hour range. I know this question is asked a million times, but this being my first year as a transfer at a top uni, I think I'm in an odd predicament. My biggest fear is that law schools will think I was unable to handle the course load here and like all pre-laws, I would like to get into a T14.

Right now, I'm doing OK in Chemistry, but I absolutely despise the course. Because of it, I think I've also lost a lot of time I could otherwise have devoted to ECs. So what do you guys think? Should I stick it out or drop the course? Has any successful law student on the boards been in a somewhat similar situation to my own?

Thanks.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Re: Should I drop?

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Here we go

1 w is no big deal. Doesn't really matter than you're at your new school. Also gpa > ecs. If you think this class is going to eff your gpa, withdraw. Really. One W and a high gpa is a way better position to be in than an average gpa and no W's.

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Haha. Yeah I was in the exact same situation. I transferred from one top 20 to another...a completely different type of environment and culture/philosophy though. I had really bad advising when I transferred and was given false information and I actually got a 2.6 my first semester here...why? Because I took 2 pre-med lab sciences with another science course....yeah it sucked. I was told I would need one whole sequence so I got into Chem for the NEXT semester too...only to find out that my advisor was all wrong and that I didn't need to take another round of Chem (thank god) and so I took a W. My LSDAS GPA would be around a 3.7 if it wasn't for that 2.6 semester. Now, I am more like at a 3.5...it sucks, but I wrote a little addendum...not to complain or whine, just stating that I had one outlier semester. You should be ok man.

You may have to take a lab science as a requirement?

ctxmike

New

Post by ctxmike » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:27 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:Haha. Yeah I was in the exact same situation. I transferred from one top 20 to another...a completely different type of environment and culture/philosophy though. I had really bad advising when I transferred and was given false information and I actually got a 2.6 my first semester here...why? Because I took 2 pre-med lab sciences with another science course....yeah it sucked. I was told I would need one whole sequence so I got into Chem for the NEXT semester too...only to find out that my advisor was all wrong and that I didn't need to take another round of Chem (thank god) and so I took a W. My LSDAS GPA would be around a 3.7 if it wasn't for that 2.6 semester. Now, I am more like at a 3.5...it sucks, but I wrote a little addendum...not to complain or whine, just stating that I had one outlier semester. You should be ok man.

I took a lab science at my previous university. I talked to my advisor who told me this course only counts as an elective under my current major. Glad to see I'm not the only one. By the way, great job at making up that semester.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:28 pm

Drop.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:31 pm

ctxmike wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:Haha. Yeah I was in the exact same situation. I transferred from one top 20 to another...a completely different type of environment and culture/philosophy though. I had really bad advising when I transferred and was given false information and I actually got a 2.6 my first semester here...why? Because I took 2 pre-med lab sciences with another science course....yeah it sucked. I was told I would need one whole sequence so I got into Chem for the NEXT semester too...only to find out that my advisor was all wrong and that I didn't need to take another round of Chem (thank god) and so I took a W. My LSDAS GPA would be around a 3.7 if it wasn't for that 2.6 semester. Now, I am more like at a 3.5...it sucks, but I wrote a little addendum...not to complain or whine, just stating that I had one outlier semester. You should be ok man.

I took a lab science at my previous university. I talked to my advisor who told me this course only counts as an elective under my current major. Glad to see I'm not the only one. By the way, great job at making up that semester.
Yeah, I did the same thing. Took a 4 credit science class that effed my gpa. Had to get many many A's to get my gpa back up to a reasonable level, it didn't go back to where it was originally. OP, do yourself a favor and drop if you really can't handle it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”