Does graduating in summer matter? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thedude221

Bronze

Does graduating in summer matter?

Post by thedude221 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:25 pm

if your going into law school that following fall?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Does graduating in summer matter?

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:29 pm

No, as long as you graduate prior to starting LS.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:50 pm

bk187 wrote:No, as long as you graduate prior to starting LS.
Not true.

I took classes the summer preceding starting 1L, I did not graduate until at least a month into 1L. Surprisingly the law school was very understanding and cool with it but my UG threw a hissy fit. Law school's position was that as long as I got the final transcript ot them by the end of the fall 1L semester I was fine. I had to petition the UG to leave 2.5 weeks early.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:53 pm

JPU wrote:
Not true.

I took classes the summer preceding starting 1L, I did not graduate until at least a month into 1L. Surprisingly the law school was very understanding and cool with it but my UG threw a hissy fit. Law school's position was that as long as I got the final transcript ot them by the end of the fall 1L semester I was fine. I had to petition the UG to leave 2.5 weeks early.
How does this invalidate what I said?

MartianManhunter

Bronze

Post by MartianManhunter » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:16 pm

bk187 wrote:
JPU wrote:
Not true.

How does this invalidate what I said?
See bolded.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:19 pm

I'm still lost.

I said "as long as you graduate prior to LS." He said that he didn't graduate until he had already started 1L. Therefore it merely validates my point? Some summer classes will delay your receiving your bachelor's until after most law schools start, some will not.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:22 pm

bk187 wrote:I'm still lost.

I said "as long as you graduate prior to LS." He said that he didn't graduate until he had already started 1L. Therefore it merely validates my point? Some summer classes will delay your receiving your bachelor's until after most law schools start, some will not.
I read your first post as saying "you must graduate before beginning law school classes." Our agreeing doesn't really matter since apparently we are saying the same thing.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Ah I see now, you are saying that you don't have to graduate prior to enrollment due to your personal example.

I haven't heard of anything like that, but since most applications ask to verify whether you will receive your first bachelor's prior to matriculating, I wouldn't be so sure that every school would be that forgiving. I see no reason to risk it if it can be avoided.

hijodehombre

Bronze

Post by hijodehombre » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:30 pm

There is a difference between finishing coursework before starting LS and the commencement ceremony, most likely, law schools will require that coursework be complete as a condition.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:18 pm

bk187 wrote:Ah I see now, you are saying that you don't have to graduate prior to enrollment due to your personal example.

I haven't heard of anything like that, but since most applications ask to verify whether you will receive your first bachelor's prior to matriculating, I wouldn't be so sure that every school would be that forgiving. I see no reason to risk it if it can be avoided.
Ya I totally agree as it was a pain in the ass to get it all organized. In my initial cycle I only applied to 3 schools (2 t4's and UCI) so my experience was rather limited.
hijodehombre wrote:There is a difference between finishing coursework before starting LS and the commencement ceremony, most likely, law schools will require that coursework be complete as a condition.
That was never brought up by my first LS but anecdotally I was not done with either when I started LS. I had to take a final on-line during the second week of 1L to finish an elective (I needed the credits to meet the graduation minimum).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”