UG Senior Thesis Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawyeah

New

UG Senior Thesis

Post by lawyeah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:56 am

I've noticed that a lot of applicants to top law schools in the past have written a senior thesis/honor thesis and mentioned it in their resume. What are the potential benefits, if any, of writing a thesis for law school admissions? Have any of you done so and are already admitted into law school? What are you your opinions?

Gold

Re: UG Senior Thesis

Post by 094320 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:44 pm

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:34 pm

lawyeah wrote:I've noticed that a lot of applicants to top law schools in the past have written a senior thesis/honor thesis and mentioned it in their resume. What are the potential benefits, if any, of writing a thesis for law school admissions? Have any of you done so and are already admitted into law school? What are you your opinions?
I did an Honors thesis. I had it on my resume for admissions. After I defended, I updated the Admissions Committee (it was also after I was accepted to the school). If doing it is going to hurt your GPA or LSAT score, I'd steer away because honestly, those are the most important factors. But I'd say it looks good, not to mention the fact that it gives you invaluable research and writing experience. If you're going to hate your life for doing it, then don't. But if there's a topic you're genuinely interested in and you can keep your other schoolwork under control, I'd say go for it.

FWIW, I ended up getting a scholarship at my law school after updating the admissions committee about my thesis (along with a few other awards, etc.).

ChiButterfly

New

Post by ChiButterfly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:39 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
FWIW, I ended up getting a scholarship at my law school after updating the admissions committee about my thesis (along with a few other awards, etc.).
Congrats!

lawyeah

New

Post by lawyeah » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Were you conducting your thesis during the semester you applied to law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:49 pm

lawyeah wrote:Were you conducting your thesis during the semester you applied to law school?
+1...is there any point telling them i'll start writing a thesis this semester somewhere on my app?

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:53 pm

xqhp82 wrote:
lawyeah wrote:Were you conducting your thesis during the semester you applied to law school?
+1...is there any point telling them i'll start writing a thesis this semester somewhere on my app?
In my resume last year I put something like "Honors Thesis Defense scheduled April 2010"

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:58 pm

minuit wrote:
xqhp82 wrote:
In my resume last year I put something like "Honors Thesis Defense scheduled April 2010"
Right...I have a related question. I study in the UK and we call a thesis a "dissertation", with single dissertation of 8000 words and double dissertation of 15000 words. If I want to put that info on my resume, should I follow British terminology or just call it an honors thesis? I'm rather confused because the two words seem to have reversed meaning in the two countries (undergrad vs phD)

lawyeah

New

Post by lawyeah » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:49 am

xqhp82 wrote:
minuit wrote:
xqhp82 wrote:
Right...I have a related question. I study in the UK and we call a thesis a "dissertation", with single dissertation of 8000 words and double dissertation of 15000 words. If I want to put that info on my resume, should I follow British terminology or just call it an honors thesis? I'm rather confused because the two words seem to have reversed meaning in the two countries (undergrad vs phD)
I'd probably go with the US terminology. but you could add in parenthesis that it's known as a dissertation in the UK.

MPMP

New

Post by MPMP » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:39 am

I did a thesis last year, during my senior year (I'm currently a 1L). It was probably the most challenging part of my undergrad education, but it was also the most rewarding, and it was something I learned a lot from.

I would say that it was helpful because it made me comfortable with having distant deadlines and working diligently towards being prepared for those deadlines, which is obviously a skill that is valuable in law school.

It seems like a lot of my classmates wrote theses, so I wouldn't expect it to set you apart too much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”