Deciding between LORs Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ArchRoark

Silver

Deciding between LORs

Post by ArchRoark » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:08 am

I have one solid academic LOR that I am sure of the strength and will be including.

Then I have this other academic LOR that I am not sure the strength of. The professor while was happy to write me one didn't give me any indication of the strength it would be. I have a low GPA but I did fine in his class and it was a small 10 man round table discussion course. However, when I was giving him my information to write the letter he did make this comment "so you think you can get into law school with a *MY GPA HERE i.e. sub 3* gpa?" Which I responded, well I plan on trying. He has since retired but I sent him an email stating my success on the LAST and asking for a candid response to the strength of his letter (basically asking him if it was positive or lukewarm).

Then I have a work letter from the lawyer I interned with. I drafted motions, pleadings, settle agreements, and conducted legal research. I know the the letter will be strong. I am sure it will speak to traits that will be important for success in law school.

Basically... should I risk sending the second academic LOR? Or just go with one academic/one work? I have only been out of UG for 1 year (will be 2 years by the time I start LS).

Tanicius

Gold

Re: Deciding between LORs

Post by Tanicius » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:21 am

Tiva wrote:I have one solid academic LOR that I am sure of the strength and will be including.

Then I have this other academic LOR that I am not sure the strength of. The professor while was happy to write me one didn't give me any indication of the strength it would be. I have a low GPA but I did fine in his class and it was a small 10 man round table discussion course. However, when I was giving him my information to write the letter he did make this comment "so you think you can get into law school with a *MY GPA HERE i.e. sub 3* gpa?" Which I responded, well I plan on trying. He has since retired but I sent him an email stating my success on the LAST and asking for a candid response to the strength of his letter (basically asking him if it was positive or lukewarm).

Then I have a work letter from the lawyer I interned with. I drafted motions, pleadings, settle agreements, and conducted legal research. I know the the letter will be strong. I am sure it will speak to traits that will be important for success in law school.

Basically... should I risk sending the second academic LOR? Or just go with one academic/one work? I have only been out of UG for 1 year (will be 2 years by the time I start LS).
I was about to say that you should tend to always send the two academic letters, but then I saw your WE. Hm. For Northwestern, the WE LOR is certainly appropriate. For the others... Read their application guidelines. Schools like Columbia say in their guidelines that they prefer academic letters, so in cases like that you're pretty much stuck.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:58 am

Tanicius wrote: I was about to say that you should tend to always send the two academic letters, but then I saw your WE. Hm. For Northwestern, the WE LOR is certainly appropriate. For the others... Read their application guidelines. Schools like Columbia say in their guidelines that they prefer academic letters, so in cases like that you're pretty much stuck.
Yah I was definitely going to send the WE LOR to NU and I know I am going to have to risk sending the second academic with some applications (for example Cornell *requires* two academic LORs). I was more interested in the those that only require one letter (which I would send 1 academic/1we) or aren't so adamant about both being academic.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Since the professor retired I thought I would look him up in the white pages. I found his home number and I am thinking about calling him. I am on the fence.

What do I have to lose tho?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”