Resume ?--OK to List Future Employment? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DreamShake

Bronze

Resume ?--OK to List Future Employment?

Post by DreamShake » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:46 am

Context: I just graduated this past May and am applying for the 2011 cycle; my resume is generally lacking in WE (I tutored throughout college for spare $ and worked crappy summer jobs). I do have a recent summer internship at a law firm, but not much else. I'm at 3.6, 17x (retaking in October), and I have a felony criminal record.

Question: I've arranged to intern with the same judge who sentenced me for the felony several years ago (state district court). Can I put this in my resume w/the future date of employment, contact info, etc., and mention in a bullet that it's already been set up w/the judge & court coordinator? The main point of putting it in the resume would be to demonstrate that I'm making amends, being proactive, etc...I don't have room to fit it in elsewhere in my app, but I really want adcomms to be aware of it in the hopes of allaying some C&F questions.

Thanks in advance!

JJDancer

Gold

Re: Resume ?--OK to List Future Employment?

Post by JJDancer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:02 pm

DreamShake wrote:Context: I just graduated this past May and am applying for the 2011 cycle; my resume is generally lacking in WE (I tutored throughout college for spare $ and worked crappy summer jobs). I do have a recent summer internship at a law firm, but not much else. I'm at 3.6, 17x (retaking in October), and I have a felony criminal record.

Question: I've arranged to intern with the same judge who sentenced me for the felony several years ago (state district court). Can I put this in my resume w/the future date of employment, contact info, etc., and mention in a bullet that it's already been set up w/the judge & court coordinator? The main point of putting it in the resume would be to demonstrate that I'm making amends, being proactive, etc...I don't have room to fit it in elsewhere in my app, but I really want adcomms to be aware of it in the hopes of allaying some C&F questions.

Thanks in advance!
You can list future employment but don't really put any responsibilities as bullets unless you know what you will be doing and can list something like "will perform legal research" or whatever (in FUTURE tense)

otherwise its fine to list on your resume if you have a start date (month) decided with the Judge.

2ofspades

Bronze

Post by 2ofspades » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:29 pm

Yes, it's fine if you use future tense. Keep in mind that if you for any reason don't do the internship, you'll have to update your apps. But also...
DreamShake wrote:I've arranged to intern with the same judge who sentenced me for the felony
killer PS in 3...2...1...

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:50 pm

haha...Well, since I'm applying for law school before i actually do the internship,I don't really have anything to say about it in the PS. However, my PS is currently in the "Personal Statements" forum, so please feel free to take a look and critique :P

Also, thanks for the answers guys--I'll be including the internship in my resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”