Who to ask for a LOR? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
millanda

New

Who to ask for a LOR?

Post by millanda » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:34 pm

I'm majoring in journalism and English, and I wanted a LOR representing each major. I know enough professors/TAs in journalism, but I'm not sure who to ask for English. My fiction writing professor knows me well, but does that sort of class say anything about how I'll do in law school? Or is it too much on the creative side and not analytical enough?

northwood

Platinum

Re: Who to ask for a LOR?

Post by northwood » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:51 am

ask the professors that you know will write you an amazing letter. You can always ask more than 3 and use them accordingly. If you know one of your professors is an alum of a target school, then use that letter for that schools applicaiton. If that doesnt work as well, pick the ones that will turn in the letter the fastest ( and keep it sparkling )

millanda

New

Post by millanda » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:50 pm

If you ask for more than three, how do you choose which to send? Don't you typically waive your right to read them? And I have a few professors in mind that I think will write me good letters, but should the classes they teach be taken into consideration? Like, is fiction writing not analytical enough of a class for a law school recommendation letter?

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:57 pm

millanda wrote:If you ask for more than three, how do you choose which to send? Don't you typically waive your right to read them? And I have a few professors in mind that I think will write me good letters, but should the classes they teach be taken into consideration? Like, is fiction writing not analytical enough of a class for a law school recommendation letter?
You should always waive your right to read your LORs, since law schools can't trust an LOR to be candid if the recommender had to worry about you reading it. You can send more than two LORs to schools, so if you have three that you think will all be phenomenal then just send them all. I wouldn't go more than 3 though or else you risk annoying the people reading your application.

Choose the 2-3 letters that you think will be the best, i.e. from the professors who know you and like you the best. Fiction Writing sounds like a fine class to get an LOR from. You won't know for sure if you are sending your best ones but that's just how the process works. If you have additional great LORs after #3 I would save them for waitlist situations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”