Healthcare Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lonagan

Bronze

Re: Healthcare Law

Post by Lonagan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:39 pm

As far as gaining relevant and marketable experience (and networking opportunities) goes, don't forget about clinics. Quick links from googling 'health care law clinic':

Hatvard

Maryland (LinkRemoved)

Houston (LinkRemoved)

Miami (LinkRemoved)

George Washington

Kansas

I know nothing about any of these individual clinics, but this does show they are out there. These schools span the top 100 broadly, so regardless of your numbers at least one of these should fit in the spread of schools you are applying to.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:40 pm

Rik Smits wrote:That makes sense.

I have been looking at my university's job listings and discovered a fellowship position in bioethics with NIH. I have read that substantial work experience prior to law school may improve one's chances in attaining a job in that field.

Would this be worth pursuing? I am not opposed to working before law school, but my ultimate goal is to find a good job in health law. If this route doesn't substantially help, then I should probably ignore it.
I would never tell you that being knolwedgable would hurt at all...I'm sure it would be a tremendous help. I wasn't tough, showing an interest in the field was enough to get me through.

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:03 pm

Rik Smits wrote:I apologize if there's another thread on this topic, but after a few minutes looking through search results, I couldn't find anything.

I have a very strong interest in healthcare law. I currently work in a department at my university's affiliated medical center which focuses on reducing malpractice risk; the work is very rewarding for me, even though I am just a student worker. I am applying this cycle - LSAT in October, score TBA - but my LSDAS GPA is a 3.89.

As I am beginning to formulate a school list, is there any specific strategy I need to use when evaluating possible schools? Should I just try to get into the best school possible, or are other considerations more important for my desired field? I have heard conflicting reports on USNWR's specialty rankings; any thoughts on that subject?
I agree with the posters that said specialty rankings don't matter, but to answer your question, SLU is ranked number one in health law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”