Why Do Some Apps Ask About Other Schools? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justadude55

Silver

Why Do Some Apps Ask About Other Schools?

Post by justadude55 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:10 pm

Why do some apps ask what other schools you're applying to or plan to apply to?

I am answering it, but it seems like a very unfair question. It's like if you ask your boyfriend/girlfriend, have you ever since high school been dumped because you cheated (analogy to police record or disciplinary action), that's one thing. However, to ask them what other people they find attractive, that seems a little weird.

What is their logic? Are they not going to accept a kid who has a 180 and lists Harvard because they know they won't get him/her or would they be more inclined to offer more $ to try to get them? I don't think it's a fair question and I just don't see the positive on their end.

Platinum

Re: Why Do Some Apps Ask About Other Schools?

Post by 2014 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:14 pm

I'll piggy back off this thread and say what is the right thing to disclose? I am happy to tell them peer schools I am applying to if that is what they want, but right now my list of applications is at like 22 and I would really rather not list them out. Plus I would hate to get declined from a safety because I have ambitious reaches, that would suck.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:14 pm

Law schools are very insecure and needy.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:16 pm

justadude55 wrote: What is their logic? Are they not going to accept a kid who has a 180 and lists Harvard because they know they won't get him/her.
This is exactly why. It's called yield protection. UVA is a great example of yield protection (see the endless waitlists).

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:33 pm

if only you could say: i want you, but i don't know if you want me so i need to spread the seed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:39 pm

justadude55 wrote:if only you could say: i want you, but i don't know if you want me so i need to spread the seed.
You can. It's called a Letter of Continuing Interest. You use it if you get put on a waitlist. It will help if you get waitlisted when your numbers are at or above medians.

2ofspades

Bronze

Post by 2ofspades » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:49 pm

CastleRock wrote:
justadude55 wrote:if only you could say: i want you, but i don't know if you want me so i need to spread the seed.
You can. It's called a Letter of Continuing Interest. You use it if you get put on a waitlist. It will help if you get waitlisted when your numbers are at or above medians.
Or you can just ED. Not every school goes to the WL each year.

Lonagan

Bronze

Post by Lonagan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:20 pm

2ofspades wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
Or you can just ED. Not every school goes to the WL each year.
They probably do pull true YPers off the waitlist quite liberally once they get confirmation these people will actually attend.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:36 pm

Schools ask for four reasons.

1) To see how interested you are in their school and, thus,

2) To gage the likelihood of your enrollment if admitted

3) To gage your judgment (if you are a white male with a 2.9/153 from Cal State Fullerton and you have applied to all top-10 schools, it says a lot about you and your lack of knowledge of the process)

4) To get an idea of how honest you are. It's another char-fit test they can employ during the summer. Once in awhile, they check up on a candidate during the summer if that candidate is on their WL and claims he has been admitted to another school. They will go back to the application to see if that school was listed on the app, and may fire a call to confirm your admission to the other school if your LOCI states that you prefer their school over others.

With all of that in mind, you don't have to tell them. There are ways around the question. You can respectfully decline to answer, with the understanding that you will answer the question if it is required to complete the application. I have never had a school force me to answer, and I have been admitted to law schools to which I have given that answer. They really don't have a right to know.

The other thing you can do is list schools you have applied to at that point in time. Fill out the apps of the schools that ask the question first, and you won't have many schools to list. They really cannot force you to reveal where you "plan to apply" because you are entitled to change your mind.

A third option is to list schools geographically, thus sending the impression that going to school and practicing in the geographic area in question is important to you. This can actually work to your advantage. If you're applying to Northwestern because you really want to work in the midwest, why not tell them you are applying to Chicago, Chicago-Kent, UIUC, DePaul, Notre Dame, and WUSTL?

Just put a short sentence at the end advising the adcom that you may add other schools later. But don't promise to update them. If you wind up sending out LOCI's, update the WL schools on additional schools you applied and gained admission to if they weren't already listed on the application.

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:35 pm

Which schools have you come across that ask for this info?
If they are trying to protect yield for ranking purposes then presumably they would tend to fall into a general ranking band of around the middle order.

From LSAC's website I see that application info is allowed to be shared after May 15th each year i.e. acceptances and seat deposits. But before this date can schools request info from LSAC or other schools and be given that info? I don't remember seeing that anywhere.

Keep in mind that if you were to apply to multiple schools and don't update those who ask specifically then you are breaking the application rules by not notifying them of a change to information on your application form. That would come under misconduct and irregularity:
Examples of misconduct and irregularities include, but are not limited to:
# submission of false, inconsistent, or misleading statements or omission of information requested online or on forms as part of registering for the LSAT or using LSAC's Credential Assembly Service, or on individual law school application forms;
# providing false, inconsistent, or misleading information in the admission and financial aid/scholarship application process; or
# attempt at any of the above.
Applicants are expected to
•research, read, and fully understand the application for admission and financial aid processes, including relevant deadlines
•provide accurate and complete information
•notify the law school during the admission process of any changes to information requested in the application, and be aware of the consequences for failure to provide that information.
•be aware that it is common for state Boards of Bar Examiners to request a copy of the law school application in order to verify information provided to them in support of an application for admission to practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”