What do you look for in a school (other than rank)? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Patriot1208

Platinum

Re: What do you look for in a school (other than rank)?

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:49 pm

2ofspades wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
northwood wrote:i guess the best advice would be go visit the schools you are considering for a day or 2 before you sign on the dotted line....... If you're applying to 10+ schools and get in to them all, narrow down your searches somehoow ( scholarship, location, distance from your ideal place to work, or whatever criteria you use) then plan some visits. I would make sure to schedule some time to talk with professors/ students, and or sit in on a class if possible
I 100% echo this advice. My first choice during the application process became a non-contender after a visit and sitting in on a class.
+1

This is the only thing that helped me distinguish where I would be happy as a student for three years.
happiness is overrated.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:40 pm

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:52 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:As far as suicide rates go. In 3 semesters at a state university I knew of two suicides and in one year at a much smaller university of known of 1 suicide. I feel like this is more common then should be happening.
It's actually lower in the college student population than outside of it for that age group.
The whole "failure at life" thing probably has something to do with it.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:58 pm

2014 wrote: To each their own. I'm more familiar and comfortable with a college town atmosphere so I would have no obligation to Ann Arbor, Ithaca, Charlottesville, Durham etc whereas living in DC would not be my first choice.
Your post is unclear. You would have "no obligation" to go to a school located in a college town, and you like college towns? Do you mean you would have no "aversion" to going attending school in a college town? That would make more sense, as you seem to be saying that you prefer schools in smaller towns to schools in large, urban areas.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:14 am

Job/career prospects are #1. Location is a very close second, because, you must be happy living where you are in order to perform your best. I truly prefer to be in a mild climate (like the Bay area, Seattle or somewhere in the midwest). But I also prefer to attend school in large urban areas because I like noise and competition. My career goal as a corporate lawyer means attending an elite school. NY, Chicago, D.C., Philly, L.A., or the Bay.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:41 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
2ofspades wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
northwood wrote:i guess the best advice would be go visit the schools you are considering for a day or 2 before you sign on the dotted line....... If you're applying to 10+ schools and get in to them all, narrow down your searches somehoow ( scholarship, location, distance from your ideal place to work, or whatever criteria you use) then plan some visits. I would make sure to schedule some time to talk with professors/ students, and or sit in on a class if possible
I 100% echo this advice. My first choice during the application process became a non-contender after a visit and sitting in on a class.
+1

This is the only thing that helped me distinguish where I would be happy as a student for three years.
happiness is overrated.
OK, Kant

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:58 pm

I think, for me, it'd be:

1. Location (I don't want to be where it's absurdly difficult or expensive to see my family)
2. Type of Location (Large city, up north, preferably not a college town)
3. Scholarships
4. Prestige

But these are on a sliding scale. For example, type of location doesn't trump any level of scholarship. That is, I'd take a full ride at UVA over Chicago at sticker, even though I would much rather be in Chicago. It's just a weird amalgamation of all those factors, plus other little things.

PHC

New

Post by PHC » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:58 pm

Location is especially crucial for me. My wife is currently in Nurse Anasthesia school in Charlotte and won't graduate until Dec. '11. We love this area and want to stay here for at least the next 10 or so years. I'm focusing all of my attention on schools in the area, but mostly targeting UNC and Wake. Both are great schools, are in smaller towns, place well in the area, and have great hospitals nearby where my wife could work. We both went to UNC for undergrad and loved it, so we know we could be happy there.

If I get in to both, I'd look at $$$, then curriculum, class size, and faculty in some order.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:24 pm

1. Will they let me in? (3.05/??? but I can only guarantee I will get above 160)
2. Curriculum (they must have health care law, and I would prefer some public interest emphasis)
3. Location (because the wife has some demands too)
4. Cost/Scholarships
5. Job Prospects

Bingo. Course, once I have some acceptances/waitlists in hand then (since I took all the factors into account when choosing where to apply) Cost/Scholarships and Job Placement becomes the only factors. I will have already determined that we can live there, they have a curriculum I want, and they accepted me (suckers) :D.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:30 pm

PHC wrote:Location is especially crucial for me. My wife is currently in Nurse Anasthesia school in Charlotte and won't graduate until Dec. '11. We love this area and want to stay here for at least the next 10 or so years. I'm focusing all of my attention on schools in the area, but mostly targeting UNC and Wake. Both are great schools, are in smaller towns, place well in the area, and have great hospitals nearby where my wife could work. We both went to UNC for undergrad and loved it, so we know we could be happy there.

If I get in to both, I'd look at $$$, then curriculum, class size, and faculty in some order.
I thought at one point about getting a nursing license simply to apply to CRNA school one day. Decided it wasn't for me, but kudos to your wife. Getting in isn't easy, and the job is very important. It also pays very well, which no one can complain about.

I would do the same as you... though I would be tempted to apply to every school in NC and the surrounding states. Depending on your grades and LSAT this might not be necessary, of course, but if you are on the lower end I would say do it. During her clinicals and your 1L you aren't really going to see each other except on the weekends anyway. Why not be willing to drive three or four hours to school and back twice a week if it increases your chances? Just a thought.

PHC

New

Post by PHC » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:20 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:
PHC wrote:Location is especially crucial for me. My wife is currently in Nurse Anasthesia school in Charlotte and won't graduate until Dec. '11. We love this area and want to stay here for at least the next 10 or so years. I'm focusing all of my attention on schools in the area, but mostly targeting UNC and Wake. Both are great schools, are in smaller towns, place well in the area, and have great hospitals nearby where my wife could work. We both went to UNC for undergrad and loved it, so we know we could be happy there.

I thought at one point about getting a nursing license simply to apply to CRNA school one day. Decided it wasn't for me, but kudos to your wife. Getting in isn't easy, and the job is very important. It also pays very well, which no one can complain about.

I would do the same as you... though I would be tempted to apply to every school in NC and the surrounding states. Depending on your grades and LSAT this might not be necessary, of course, but if you are on the lower end I would say do it. During her clinicals and your 1L you aren't really going to see each other except on the weekends anyway. Why not be willing to drive three or four hours to school and back twice a week if it increases your chances? Just a thought.
My wife is a freak of nature. She got in the program as the youngest person they've accepted. Her dad is a CRNA and she has known since HS that this is what she wanted to do, and she's making it happen. Hopefully some of that rubs off on me.

As far as LS goes, I am prepared to spread applications out around the area, but since I'm fairly convinced I'm good at Wake and/or UNC, it's hard to seriously consider anywhere else in NC. Duke is out of the question (my numbers aren't that good), Charlotte and Elon aren't fully accredited, and Campbell and NCCU are TTTT. There are other viable options nearby if necessary, but hopefully it won't come to that. Hey, I can be optimistic, right :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”