"all schools attended"? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eeeeeek

New

"all schools attended"?

Post by eeeeeek » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:26 am

Quick question: when law school applications ask you to list "all schools attended," should I include schools I went on study abroad (sponsored by my home institution) to? I was thrown off by the blanks that said "degree conferred" and "date degree conferred" (I didn't get a degree from the school I went on study abroad to). Info on the study abroad program is already on my transcript.

Thanks!

thesybarite

Bronze

Re: "all schools attended"?

Post by thesybarite » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:44 am

Yes I think you do need to do this, and just leave the degree bit blank. I've had to do this.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:37 am

In the FAQ thread someone else said that they're not listing study abroad/exchange program schools. I'm in the same situation and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it - I wish someone who's already been through a cycle could clear this up.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:48 am

I would list them. Especially if it isn't clear anywhere else, such as your PS, that you did study abroad, that would be a good way for them to see it. I would assume study abroad is at least an average soft.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:48 am

What I did was not put them anywhere on the "schools attended" stuff because they're all "branches" of my UG. In my education, I put my UG first, and then like,

"EAST CHINA NORMAL UNIVERSITY, Shanghai, China 02/2009-06/2009
XYZ in Shanghai Study Abroad Program"

And I figure they can see on the transcript that that was just XYZ classes and whatnot, just abroad. I'm hoping they're smart cookies...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:55 am

dulcatis wrote:What I did was not put them anywhere on the "schools attended" stuff because they're all "branches" of my UG. In my education, I put my UG first, and then like,

"EAST CHINA NORMAL UNIVERSITY, Shanghai, China 02/2009-06/2009
XYZ in Shanghai Study Abroad Program"

And I figure they can see on the transcript that that was just XYZ classes and whatnot, just abroad. I'm hoping they're smart cookies...
Do you mean on your resume?

Yeah, I'm conflicted about putting it under "schools attended" since schools attended as study abroad programs should be differentiated from institutions attended with the intention of receiving a degree (for instance UGs attended before transferring somewhere else, or graduate degree programs, etc.) I feel like putting it on there could be more confusing or even misleading.

It's going on my resume for sure, and probably will get a sentence on my PS and/or DS... maybe that'll be enough?

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:01 am

List the schools and leave the degree portion blank. The admissions committee will, with the help of your transcripts, understand what this means.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:04 am

Yeah I put that part on my resume, and that's where I'm addressing it/the end of it for me.

The way I think about it, is that the part with the "schools attended" probably has to do with the places you had to get transcripts from. As in, completely separate and the potential to get a degree from. I thought it'd be too confusing if I put it there because it's purely study abroad and entirely internal to my school.

eeeeeek

New

Post by eeeeeek » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:03 pm

thanks for the answers!! :D i ended up listing the study abroad in the schools attended list and putting down (study abroad) in the degree conferred box.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”