Should I Take Advantage of Pass/Fail? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Pass/Fail or Not?

Do Pass/Fail
95%
Don't Do Pass/Fail
5%

Total votes: 19

Obi-Wan Kenobi

New

Should I Take Advantage of Pass/Fail?

Post by Obi-Wan Kenobi » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:52 pm

Last edited by Obi-Wan Kenobi on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Knock

Platinum

Re: Should I Take Advantage of Pass/Fail?

Post by Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:53 pm

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:I'm a senior w/ a 3.98 GPA. I'm taking the LSAT in October. I haven't taken advantage of my school's option to take a class pass/fail, and I'm considering using it for my hardest class this semester.

I figure that since anything but an A would hurt my GPA, I might as well concentrate my effort on my other four classes and devote as much time as possible to LSAT prep.

On the other hand, pass/fail obviously doesn't look as good on a transcript, and I already have one (nonpunitive) withdrawal and two semesters with a lighter-than-average credit load for my school (I had AP credits but not enough to finish early).

I'm strongly leaning toward going pass/fail but wanted to get some input. Thanks in advance.
I voted to take pass/fail. LSAT is the most vital thing at the moment, and the last thing you want is a difficult class consuming an inordinate amount of your time.

One pass/fail class won't hurt your application, especially with a 3.98 GPA and a high LSAT score.

Your GPA is basically perfect, so there is basically no reward for getting an A in the class but it would hurt you if you even so much as got an A-.

This is a pretty easy decision, at least looking at it from over here.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:56 pm

Pass/Fail for sure. With that gpa if you pull a 172+ you'll be a lock for HYSCCN regardless of how a P looks on your transcript.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:58 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:59 pm

Sentry wrote:Pass/Fail for sure. With that gpa if you pull a 172+ you'll be a lock for HYSCCN regardless of how a P looks on your transcript.
While agree with the general sentiment, I think this is a little bit too strong, I think with a 173 you are a strong candidate for H, 172 very strong candidate at CCN; S and Y are black boxes, who knows. It depends what softs OP has.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:00 pm

So long as you get your transcript to LSAC before this semester's grades are in this won't even be an issue. Get your transcript in now and get all your apps ready for when you get your October LSAT score back. Chances are you won't have to ever deal with this class showing up on your transcript one way or the other.

I voted for pass/fail though because it's senior year and you've obviously worked hard, so why not take a break.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

New

Post by Obi-Wan Kenobi » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:05 pm

St.Remy wrote:So long as you get your transcript to LSAC before this semester's grades are in this won't even be an issue. Get your transcript in now and get all your apps ready for when you get your October LSAT score back. Chances are you won't have to ever deal with this class showing up on your transcript one way or the other.

I voted for pass/fail though because it's senior year and you've obviously worked hard, so why not take a break.
Last edited by Obi-Wan Kenobi on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:09 pm

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
St.Remy wrote:So long as you get your transcript to LSAC before this semester's grades are in this won't even be an issue. Get your transcript in now and get all your apps ready for when you get your October LSAT score back. Chances are you won't have to ever deal with this class showing up on your transcript one way or the other.

Will law schools see the classes I'm currently taking but haven't completed? (Thanks for the help btw).
Not unless you send in your updated transcript after Fall semester (or the adcomms have developed ESP).

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:11 pm

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote: Will law schools see the classes I'm currently taking but haven't completed? (Thanks for the help btw).
Nope. Also if they do somehow find out and this is the first time you've taken a pass fail class then I cannot stress enough how fine you are. The only situations in which law schools care about pass/failing is when you do it all the time or if you are managing to fail the pass/fail classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:12 pm

St.Remy wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote: Will law schools see the classes I'm currently taking but haven't completed? (Thanks for the help btw).
Nope. Also if they do somehow find out and this is the first time you've taken a pass fail class then I cannot stress enough how fine you are. The only situations in which law schools care about pass/failing is when you do it all the time or if you are managing to fail the pass/fail classes.
Yeah, if you fail a pass/fail class it will go into your GPA calculation as an F. But I wouldn't really be worried about that.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:12 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Sentry wrote:Pass/Fail for sure. With that gpa if you pull a 172+ you'll be a lock for HYSCCN regardless of how a P looks on your transcript.
While agree with the general sentiment, I think this is a little bit too strong, I think with a 173 you are a strong candidate for H, 172 very strong candidate at CCN; S and Y are black boxes, who knows. It depends what softs OP has.
I meant with a 172 or higher he'd be a lock for at least 1 of the 6.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:14 pm

Sentry wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
I meant with a 172 or higher he'd be a lock for at least 1 of the 6.
Oh yeah, definitely agree with this! I misunderstood your post, my bad :mrgreen:.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”