Parent's Occupation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justadude55

Silver

Parent's Occupation

Post by justadude55 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:03 am

If one's parents are both unemployed, is it best to just write what jobs they used to have or to specify they're unemployed?

Is the former lying (i.e. possible bar violation) and will the latter be looked upon negatively, as "oh, the kid works hard now but it's in their genes to be a bum"?

Knock

Platinum

Re: Parent's Occupation

Post by Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:05 am

justadude55 wrote:If one's parents are both unemployed, is it best to just write what jobs they used to have or to specify they're unemployed?

Is the former lying (i.e. possible bar violation) and will the latter be looked upon negatively, as "oh, the kid works hard now but it's in their genes to be a bum"?
How long have they been unemployed, and are they actively seeking work? If they're just between jobs at the moment and are out job-hunting, i'd put their job, but if they've been unemployed for years or aren't actively seeking employment, i'd list unemployed. It won't affect your application either way i'm sure.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:07 am

justadude55 wrote:If one's parents are both unemployed, is it best to just write what jobs they used to have or to specify they're unemployed?

A) That may be the dumbest conclusion anyone has ever drawn in the history of TLS B) Most of the apps specify "when employed" or "during working years" next to the occupation question.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:08 am

tkgrrett wrote:

A) That may be the dumbest conclusion anyone has ever drawn in the history of TLS

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:13 am

justadude55 wrote:If one's parents are both unemployed ... will the latter be looked upon negatively, as "oh, the kid works hard now but it's in their genes to be a bum"?
Most people who work admissions are youngish and at least semi-intelligent. Pretty sure you don't have to worry about many 70+ year old admissions officials who believe in the type of stuff you mention.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:40 am

St.Remy wrote:
justadude55 wrote:If one's parents are both unemployed ... will the latter be looked upon negatively, as "oh, the kid works hard now but it's in their genes to be a bum"?
Most people who work admissions are youngish and at least semi-intelligent. Pretty sure you don't have to worry about many 70+ year old admissions officials who believe in the type of stuff you mention.
Yeh I'd seriously be shocked if anyone got rejected because their parents were unemployed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”