"Why X" essay with early decision Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shock259

Gold

"Why X" essay with early decision

Post by shock259 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:18 pm

I've already written it, but it could use another few somewhat heavy edits. I have pretty good reasons for attending the school that I want to go: I grew up in the area since like age 4, my whole family lives there, and I want to practice law there. And the school is the best school in the secondary market.

But I just read in one of the TLS articles that it is redundant because the adcomms already know I want to go there.

Thoughts?

Knock

Platinum

Re: "Why X" essay with early decision

Post by Knock » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:51 pm

shock259 wrote:I've already written it, but it could use another few somewhat heavy edits. I have pretty good reasons for attending the school that I want to go: I grew up in the area since like age 4, my whole family lives there, and I want to practice law there. And the school is the best school in the secondary market.

But I just read in one of the TLS articles that it is redundant because the adcomms already know I want to go there.

Thoughts?
If you've already written it, then by all means send it. It won't hurt you (unless it's poorly written, which from your post it seems it's not)

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:13 am

shock259 wrote:it is redundant because the adcomms already know I want to go there
this

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:41 pm

I would go ahead and send it, especially since it's already been written. I think TLS'ers sometimes forget that demonstrating a desire to attend is distinct from demonstrating a legitimate desire to attend. Without a "Why X?" you leave your reasons for ED'ing up to speculation--is it because X is your reach school and you're a rankings whore? is it because your gf is moving to that town? You can still impress an adcomm by telling him/her, "I know all about your school and am making an informed decision--I want to be here because of X, Y, Z." Most of them have some sense of school pride and will appreciate dedication to their schools (or, in your case, appreciate a set of constraining factors). There's more to ED than demonstrating you'll help their yield numbers. At best, it helps you compete against somebody with similar stats in the ED pool; at worst, the adcomm skims it and dismisses it. "Why X" shouldn't be more than a page, anyways.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks for these opinions. I'm now in the process of trying to decide whether or not my essay sucks. Anyone want to help? Let me know and I'll PM you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”