LOR Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
skyisthelimit1

New

LOR Question

Post by skyisthelimit1 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:29 pm

Could someone help me understand the LOR process? Is it necessary for me to submit it through LSAC and then I direct them to which schools I would like each letter to be sent to? Or can I bundle a sealed copy of my LOR along with my other application materials?

Thanks!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: LOR Question

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:33 pm

You'll create a profile for each LOR writer on the LSAC website. That will allow you to print out a cover letter, which you will have to sign (indicating whether or not you reserve the right to see the LOR after it's been submitted) and then give to your LOR writer. It has an address on the top; the LOR writer will mail the letter themselves to LSAC, and they'll use the cover letter to figure out that it goes in your file, and add it to your online profile once it's been received and scanned in.

As a note, it's considered a far better thing to check on the letter that you don't want to keep the right to see the letter. This is because it means the LOR writer can speak more candidly knowing you won't be able to see what they said about you, and therefore is likely giving a more honest recommendation.

Also, since you have to depend on your LOR writers sending their letters in themselves, you should request them as early as possible. Some professors/bosses will take their sweet time getting around to it, and you can't really do anything directly to make them go faster, just kind of prod them, so it's to your advantage to start sooner.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”