Explaning to Recommender how to write a LOR Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tlc

New

Explaning to Recommender how to write a LOR

Post by tlc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:49 am

Upon completing an internship for an attorney working as corporate counsel, he wrote me a very good Letter of Rec. However, it was very brief consisting of 6 or 7 lines (he wrote it to be used more as a LOR for employment rather than in an academic setting). When I officially asked him to write my letter of rec, he wasn't quite sure how to format it, how long it should be, or how it should differ from the original one that he gave me. So, since I'm going to be dropping off my personal statement, the LSAC waiver form, and other necessary materials to him next week, I was I wondering how I should go about explaining to him how academic LORs should be written. :shock:

McNulty

Bronze

Re: Explaning to Recommender how to write a LOR

Post by McNulty » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:37 am

The LSAC form that you send with the LORs has a tiny explanation on how they should be written, but it's pretty vague.

Also, you read it? For shame! :lol:

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:11 pm

I sent this to my recommenders (from https://career.berkeley.edu/letter/letterguidelines.stm)

Law schools are primarily interested in recommendations that come from professors who know the student and his/her academic work, as well as from employers who can write about the factors noted below. They are interested in summary estimates of the candidate's general promise as a student of law. The more the evaluation reflects real knowledge of the student and his/her performance, the more useful the letter is to the law school's admissions committee and thus to the student. Indicate how long you have known the applicant and in what capacity. It should address the following questions:

Personal effectiveness: Is the applicant the kind of person you would choose to consult as a lawyer? Does the applicant enjoy the trust and respect of professors and fellow students?

Intellectual qualifications: What is your assessment of the applicant's analytical skills and ability to grasp new ideas? Has the applicant's academic record been affected by any special circumstances such as work, social or academic background? What is the applicant's ability to deal with complex or abstract matters?

Ability to communicate: Is the applicant an effective writer? Does the written work submitted demonstrate a mastery of the conventions of English? Is the written expression clear, well-organized and forceful? Is the applicant articulate in oral expression?

Industry and self-discipline: To what extent does the applicant possess the traits of persistence, efficiency and motivation? Is there any reason to doubt the applicant's commitment to law study or the applicant's diligence as a student?

Potential for the study of law: What is your prediction of the applicant's probable performance in the study of law? Would the applicant stand in the top quarter, near mid-class or simply make the grade in a rigorous program? Do you have any special familiarity with the process of legal education?

Is there any other information about the applicant which you would like to share with admissions committees?

Hope this helps!

tlc

New

Post by tlc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:45 pm

McNulty wrote:Also, you read it? For shame! :lol:
It was an unsealed letter. Besides, who wouldn't jump at the chance to hear/read how awesome they were! 8)

@slax That's perfect! I was looking for something like that. I guess I wasn't searching right? I KNEW that a career center had to have a good breakdown for LORs. Thanks a lot!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”