Question About F-1 Visa Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nulli Secundus

Gold

Question About F-1 Visa

Post by Nulli Secundus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:24 am

Heya,

Do you think I will have problems with obtaining F-1 visa next summer if I apply to "Diversity Visa - Green Card" this October? (Immigrant intent and all?)

This has several aspects to consider, to remind you all:

1 - Whether they will bother looking up my name among DV applicants.
2 - Absurdity. It would kinda be like firing an employee for participating in a lottery. (Since he would not want to work for the company if he won the money, he must have the intent to leave.)

LLB2JD

Silver

Re: Question About F-1 Visa

Post by LLB2JD » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:42 am

nullisecundus wrote:Heya,

Do you think I will have problems with obtaining F-1 visa next summer if I apply to "Diversity Visa - Green Card" this October? (Immigrant intent and all?)

This has several aspects to consider, to remind you all:

1 - Whether they will bother looking up my name among DV applicants.
2 - Absurdity. It would kinda be like firing an employee for participating in a lottery. (Since he would not want to work for the company if he won the money, he must have the intent to leave.)
I don't think it'll affect you. I know people who participated in the past, and have subsequently obtained visiting visas.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:56 am

If you actually get the DV lottery you might not have to apply for the F1 at all, pending the green card. But IANAL so consult a qualified immigration lawyer.

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:24 am

motiontodismiss wrote:If you actually get the DV lottery you might not have to apply for the F1 at all, pending the green card. But IANAL so consult a qualified immigration lawyer.
Even if I get lucky, timing is really bad for that, the lottery results are announced on July 01, 2011. Put interview stage on top, if I do get accepted to a US law school, I have to obtain a visa long before that. That is why I asked in the first place; if I go to US Embassy to get F-1 in May and they tell me "You applied for green card, way to prove you will return to your country once your studies are over. Hillary Clinton herself is flying over here to congratulate you for your dumbassery", I would be sad panda.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:33 am

nullisecundus wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:If you actually get the DV lottery you might not have to apply for the F1 at all, pending the green card. But IANAL so consult a qualified immigration lawyer.
Even if I get lucky, timing is really bad for that, the lottery results are announced on July 01, 2011. Put interview stage on top, if I do get accepted to a US law school, I have to obtain a visa long before that. That is why I asked in the first place; if I go to US Embassy to get F-1 in May and they tell me "You applied for green card, way to prove you will return to your country once your studies are over. Hillary Clinton herself is flying over here to congratulate you for your dumbassery", I would be sad panda.
Hence, go talk to the nearest qualified US immigration lawyer.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:41 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
Hence, go talk to the nearest qualified US immigration lawyer.
Yeah.. I don't think this is something TLS will be able to answer. Or should, for that matter. People feel very strongly against asking for, or giving, legal advice on these forums probably for a very valid reason that I as a 0L am not able to understand yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”