academic warning Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
somedaycrazy

New

academic warning

Post by somedaycrazy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:11 pm

So I was just looking at my transcript and noticed that I was placed on warning 2 times. All the other times I was on dean's list. I was placed on warning when I was a Pharmacy student and struggled to pass organic chemistry. Now, I am stuck writing a note to the law schools. I don't know what to say. I am a URM coming from an HBCU with an okay gpa (3.3) but no work experience. I am taking the LSAT for the first and finale time in October. My parents went to Duke Law. I know I don't have a chance to go there. I am just now worried I won't get in anywhere. Anyways, how hard to admission people look at academic warning? What is the best way to explain being on warning without blaming a class/teach/myself?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Re: academic warning

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:04 pm

you are a urm....that gpa is pretty much a 3.8...which is at median or above for many t14 schools including duke I believe.

so just get below but not well below the median for duke lsat..and you're in as URM.

2ofspades

Bronze

Post by 2ofspades » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:23 pm

somedaycrazy wrote:What is the best way to explain being on warning without blaming a class/teach/myself?
An honest explanation is best. You have to address why you are on warning, so you should include the rule for being placed on warning at your school (ie, presumably there is a particular GPA you fell under) and you should identify the factor that caused your GPA to fall below that level. You thought organic chemistry was hard. Say that. Your readers will hope, though, that you learned something from the experience - and hopefully you did - so speak briefly to that as well.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:28 pm

My flame radar has activated:

1. Saying "a URM at an HBCU" is like saying you went to New Haven for law school. It lets somebody know without actually saying it.
2. Your parents are Duke Law grads. This appears to be a set up for people to argue about the merits of an income based bump vs. strictly a race bump.
3. First post.

I apologize if you are being truthful and are not trolling.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:32 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

somedaycrazy

New

Post by somedaycrazy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:47 pm

Sorry A'nold, that's my life. My parents are successful Duke Law graduates. I simply said I was a URM from an HBCU because sometimes HBCUs are frowned upon. Neither of my parents went to HBCUs and believe it was not a wise decision. I just wanted to let the readers know a little information about me because it is my first post.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:50 pm

somedaycrazy wrote:Sorry A'nold, that's my life. My parents are successful Duke Law graduates. I simply said I was a URM from an HBCU because sometimes HBCUs are frowned upon. Neither of my parents went to HBCUs and believe it was not a wise decision. I just wanted to let the readers know a little information about me because it is my first post.
Like I said earlier, I completely apologize then. You wouldn't believe how many threads start out this way b/c somebody is looking for a way to start an anti AA flame war. 95+% of the time it is from a new poster.

Back to the subject. :)

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:04 am

whymeohgodno wrote:you are a urm....that gpa is pretty much a 3.8...which is at median or above for many t14 schools including duke I believe.
Really? a 3.8?

The degree of wild speculation on TLS is absurd.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:06 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:36 pm

I got put on academic probation twice, and warning once, and have ended up with a 2.8 GPA-non urm. I just plan on writing a paragraph explaining how I was doing pre med classes that I did bad in, also it was my first time workigng 40hrs a week to support myself.

somedaycrazy

New

Post by somedaycrazy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:07 pm

merc280 wrote:I got put on academic probation twice, and warning once, and have ended up with a 2.8 GPA-non urm. I just plan on writing a paragraph explaining how I was doing pre med classes that I did bad in, also it was my first time workigng 40hrs a week to support myself.
thanks, i think i am going to do that too. i hope you get into your dream school!

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:33 am

whymeohgodno wrote:you are a urm....that gpa is pretty much a 3.8...which is at median or above for many t14 schools including duke I believe.

so just get below but not well below the median for duke lsat..and you're in as URM.
That GPA is not pretty much a 3.8. It IS a 3.3...

It's important that you explain your academic warnings because they do matter and it will be helpful for law schools to know why they're there. From my understanding, URMs aren't expected to have significantly lower GPAs than their non-URM peers when you compare it to their LSAT expectations.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”