Applications (content) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JJDancer

Gold

Applications (content)

Post by JJDancer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:34 pm

I have a 1 page resume since I'm only 1 yr out of UG. Since I have a bunch of jobs/internships that I've done for 2-8 months at a time I don't have a lot of space to describe my other involvements. I thought there would be space on actual applications for this info but some of them are just 2 pages and only ask if you worked during school and how many hours per week?

Am I missing anything?

Knock

Platinum

Re: Applications (content)

Post by Knock » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:52 pm

JJDancer wrote:I have a 1 page resume since I'm only 1 yr out of UG. Since I have a bunch of jobs/internships that I've done for 2-8 months at a time I don't have a lot of space to describe my other involvements. I thought there would be space on actual applications for this info but some of them are just 2 pages and only ask if you worked during school and how many hours per week?

Am I missing anything?
...No?

Just fill out the application...?

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:03 pm

Knockglock wrote:
JJDancer wrote:I have a 1 page resume since I'm only 1 yr out of UG. Since I have a bunch of jobs/internships that I've done for 2-8 months at a time I don't have a lot of space to describe my other involvements. I thought there would be space on actual applications for this info but some of them are just 2 pages and only ask if you worked during school and how many hours per week?

Am I missing anything?
...No?

Sorry I don't think I was clear. My question is do apps generally have a place to list/describe your other involvements? or even "every job you've ever had"? Or should my resume be detailed and include everything even if it ends up being 1.5 or 2 pages, even if I'm just out of UG?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:05 pm

JJDancer wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Am I missing anything?
...No?

Sorry I don't think I was clear. My question is do apps generally have a place to list/describe your other involvements? or even "every job you've ever had"? Or should my resume be detailed and include everything even if it ends up being 1.5 or 2 pages, even if I'm just out of UG?
Gotcha. Well if you have lots of activities, you might not have enough room. In that case you're just out of luck. Pick what's most important/impressive and list those.

Your resume should only be 1 page, except if you are legitimately extremely accomplished, and most people a year out of undergrad don't fit in this category.

Adcomms read thousands of applications, they don't want to hear about every last little bake sale you worked at.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Knockglock wrote: Gotcha. Well if you have lots of activities, you might not have enough room. In that case you're just out of luck. Pick what's most important/impressive and list those.

Your resume should only be 1 page, except if you are legitimately extremely accomplished, and most people a year out of undergrad don't fit in this category.

Adcomms read thousands of applications, they don't want to hear about every last little bake sale you worked at.
Ok thanks. I'll keep things as is then except for BU which I think asks for all your jobs etc on resume and says no length restriction.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:19 pm

JJDancer wrote:
Knockglock wrote: Gotcha. Well if you have lots of activities, you might not have enough room. In that case you're just out of luck. Pick what's most important/impressive and list those.

Ok thanks. I'll keep things as is then except for BU which I think asks for all your jobs etc on resume and says no length restriction.
Perfect, that sounds great. Good luck with your applications and cycle!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:06 pm

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:08 pm

If anything you may get two lines to describe any extracurriculars or honors. I doubt they even pay attention to those lines though as they should all be on the resume and it's an easier format to read.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:10 pm

So if it asks for a resume, and not a CV, we don't have to list ALL of our employments, right? I don't want to list ones from HS, and I don't want to list irrelevant ones (I don't think they should know I was a hooters girl at one point :oops:)

And is going over 1 page not a good idea? I could shorten mine to 1, still being in UG and all, but does it really matter?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Barbie wrote:So if it asks for a resume, and not a CV, we don't have to list ALL of our employments, right? I don't want to list ones from HS, and I don't want to list irrelevant ones (I don't think they should know I was a hooters girl at one point :oops:)

And is going over 1 page not a good idea? I could shorten mine to 1, still being in UG and all, but does it really matter?
This will likely help your cycle quite a bit.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Barbie wrote:So if it asks for a resume, and not a CV, we don't have to list ALL of our employments, right? I don't want to list ones from HS, and I don't want to list irrelevant ones (I don't think they should know I was a hooters girl at one point :oops:)

You can only list relevant but be careful of long unexplained breaks when you aren't in school. They read thousands of resumes, unless you have REAL (read 5+ year work) experience or cannot fully list the articles you've published about your cure for cancer, don't do it.

Also, I'd write my PS about being a hooters girl.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:15 pm

The resume I'm submitting is only a page; I kept it to highlighting my last three full-time jobs, and briefly mentioned older ones and info from college.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:17 pm

blowhard wrote:

You can only list relevant but be careful of long unexplained breaks when you aren't in school. They read thousands of resumes, unless you have REAL (read 5+ year work) experience or cannot fully list the articles you've published about your cure for cancer, don't do it.

PS is done :?

Okay, pretty much I've always been in school. I've held various part time (with one full time as a legal assistant) jobs throughout. I don't think almost any of them, except the one I just mentioned, are relevant. I did have another job for over 2 years, so I might add that one. But I've had a handful of short term jobs I don't really care to mention. So... can I just pick and chose which I mention?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:21 pm

Barbie wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Okay, pretty much I've always been in school. I've held various part time (with one full time as a legal assistant) jobs throughout. I don't think almost any of them, except the one I just mentioned, are relevant. I did have another job for over 2 years, so I might add that one. But I've had a handful of short term jobs I don't really care to mention. So... can I just pick and chose which I mention?
Yep. If you're worried, add a line that says that irrelevant part-time jobs have been omitted for concision or list the them but only provide info on relevant ones.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:27 pm

blowhard wrote:
Barbie wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Yep. If you're worried, add a line that says that irrelevant part-time jobs have been omitted for concision or list the them but only provide info on relevant ones.

Good idea. I hope that doesn't put them off though

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:30 pm

I'm sure omitting them is common. My resume clearly started with when I joined the military and didn't mention any high school employment.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:40 pm

The 1 page or not debate is a big one but I'm not comfortable going over 1 page unless you are more than 3-5 yrs out of UG.
You don't have to list every job you've ever had by any means though. Every app I have seen so far has space to mention jobs you had while in school so if they are normal positions like waitress or receptionist but you spent 10-20 hours a week working during school, you can leave them off your resume but mention them on the app and save the resume for more relevant jobs or extracurriculars where you had some responsibility/leadership.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:42 pm

JJDancer wrote:

The 1 page or not debate is a big one but I'm not comfortable going over 1 page unless you are more than 3-5 yrs out of UG.
You don't have to list every job you've ever had by any means though. Every app I have seen so far has space to mention jobs you had while in school so if they are normal positions like waitress or receptionist but you spent 10-20 hours a week working during school, you can leave them off your resume but mention them on the app and save the resume for more relevant jobs or extracurriculars where you had some responsibility/leadership.
Honestly, I couldn't possibly name every job I've had over the past 10 years. On the app I just put the handful I can think of over my UG (I'm still in UG...)
This is annoying

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:47 pm

Barbie wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

Honestly, I couldn't possibly name every job I've had over the past 10 years. On the app I just put the handful I can think of over my UG (I'm still in UG...)
This is annoying
Only putting relevant experience is pretty common on resumes...actually expected. No one cares what you did in high school unless it's relevant to where you are applying.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:49 pm

blowhard wrote:
Barbie wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

This is annoying
Only putting relevant experience is pretty common on resumes...actually expected. No one cares what you did in high school unless it's relevant to where you are applying.
Agreed. Your resume should reflect what you want others to see of you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”