Law School Forums---To go or not to go? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nolegirl22

New

Law School Forums---To go or not to go?

Post by nolegirl22 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:08 pm

So I am planning on applying in the fall for law school and I am trying to figure out if I should go to the Law School Forums. Any advice? Is it worth my time? Does it help admissions chances? What about the seminars they have there. Any advice or information about them would be greatly appreciated!! I was thinking about going to either the Miami one or the Atlanta one. Thanks!

Knock

Platinum

Re: Law School Forums---To go or not to go?

Post by Knock » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:16 pm

nolegirl22 wrote:So I am planning on applying in the fall for law school and I am trying to figure out if I should go to the Law School Forums. Any advice? Is it worth my time? Does it help admissions chances? What about the seminars they have there. Any advice or information about them would be greatly appreciated!! I was thinking about going to either the Miami one or the Atlanta one. Thanks!
As for attending I can't really say, i've never gone myself. I suspect anything you could learn there you could learn just as easily from TLS, but that's just my guess.

Now as far as helping admissions chances, I can give you a much more concrete answer. I am confident in saying that it will in no way shape or form affect your admissions chances. Go if you want to learn some information, but don't go if you're only hoping to boost your chances in some way, it will just be a waste of time.

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:28 pm

FWIW, I went to one and made a very important connect with someone that works for LSAC. Can't say anymore than that.

Look for opportunities to create an opportunities. Good luck.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:37 pm

I went to one of these. I didn't really feel it was valuable for me, but that's because I went too late after I had already decided everything regarding where I was going to apply. If you haven't decided which schools are good for you, it could be an interesting experience. Its a nice opportunity to get some info on the school. I found the Illinois booth to be the most valuable because I got to talk to a recent graduate rather than an Admissions Dean trained to promote the school. But most booths have the ladder. There is no paperwork that you can't get online. At the very least you will get some pens (U of Oregon even gave me a reusable shopping bag woot)!

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:37 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:FWIW, I went to one and made a very important connect with someone that works for LSAC. Can't say anymore than that.

Look for opportunities to create an opportunities. Good luck.
And you never know, this could happen!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:38 pm

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:19 pm

nolegirl22 wrote:So I am planning on applying in the fall for law school and I am trying to figure out if I should go to the Law School Forums. Any advice? Is it worth my time? Does it help admissions chances? What about the seminars they have there. Any advice or information about them would be greatly appreciated!! I was thinking about going to either the Miami one or the Atlanta one. Thanks!
Im registered for the September 11th one in Miami. I dont think Im going to go though. I'd like to, but there's a football game I want to go to later and I really dont want to spend the day at this thing. Haha.

Some people claim that its useful, others say that its not one bit useful. One thing is certain, going does not improve your chances of getting into a school. The reps at these things see thousands of people all over the country, chances are they wont remember your name if it appears on an application. Also, in a lot of the cases these people are not "important" in the sense that they arent admissions deans or actual professors.

Go for it if you want though.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:32 pm

I went. It was interesting, but I went before I knew about TLS. I learned a lot but all of the info I got is available on TLS, and more.

Don't think it's worth the hassle to go out of your way to go, but if there's one in your neighborhood and you have nothing to do might as well :roll:

nolegirl22

New

Post by nolegirl22 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Yeah I didn't think it would improve my chances of admission. It was just a question.

It would be an 8 hour drive to get there, plus a hotel room and the drive back. If I'm not going to get any more information that I couldn't find on my computer, I wouldn't want to spend the time going.

Did anyone go who thought they got a lot out of it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:37 pm

nolegirl22 wrote:Yeah I didn't think it would improve my chances of admission. It was just a question.

It would be an 8 hour drive to get there, plus a hotel room and the drive back. If I'm not going to get any more information that I couldn't find on my computer, I wouldn't want to spend the time going.

Did anyone go who thought they got a lot out of it?
This is an easy answer then, definitely not worth it.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:39 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”