name and parent's info on app form Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xqhp82

Bronze

name and parent's info on app form

Post by xqhp82 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:36 am

so i have two questions here:

1. on some forms they have a space for 'preferred name'. if i put down my english name, which is not stated on my passport, in that column, is it ok if that name does not appear anywhere else on my application? usually i prefer people to call by my english name but i put my formal chinese name on my resume and all other documents. Columbia specifically says 'use a name consistently' does that mean i should also put my english name in all other documents?

2. my parents were divorced since i was a baby and i don't see any point of even mentioning the name of my mom in my apps if she has nothing to do with it. is it ok if i just write '(divorced)' in the column of mother's name and everything else "N/A"?

sophia.olive

Silver

Re: name and parent's info on app form

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:40 am

xqhp82 wrote:so i have two questions here:

1. on some forms they have a space for 'preferred name'. if i put down my english name, which is not stated on my passport, in that column, is it ok if that name does not appear anywhere else on my application? usually i prefer people to call by my english namebut i put my formal chinese name on my resume and all other documents. Columbia specifically says 'use a name consistently' does that mean i should also put my english name in all other documents?

2. my parents were divorced since i was a baby and i don't see any point of even mentioning the name of my mom in my apps if she has nothing to do with it. is it ok if i just write '(divorced)' in the column of mother's name and everything else "N/A"?
Where is your pride, you should put THE MIDDLE KINGDOM instead of China.

SplitterPride

New

Post by SplitterPride » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:03 am

Your passport name is the name that should consistently be put there.
that is, your chinese name should go in. Application is not a place for preference.

To save yourself any mishaps, put your mother's name in there. Otherwise risk going incomplete and held.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:55 am

I have no real contact with my father. I put his name and then for address put "unable to provide - no contact"

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:05 am

blowhard wrote:I have no real contact with my father. I put his name and then for address put "unable to provide - no contact"
show off

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:50 am

SplitterPride wrote:Your passport name is the name that should consistently be put there.
that is, your chinese name should go in. Application is not a place for preference.

To save yourself any mishaps, put your mother's name in there. Otherwise risk going incomplete and held.
There you go.

OP, I go by a nickname (though it is a common one for my given name), and I put that in the "preferred name" spot on all my applications.

Also, I think you'd be fine putting "divorced" and then "n/a" in those spots, but just in case, you could put your mother's name, follow it by "(divorced)" and then fill out the rest as "n/a." I'm positive law schools have received applications before where the applicant doesn't know info about a parent due to whatever reasons.

JohnBenjamin

New

Post by JohnBenjamin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:15 am

BANNED FOR SPAM

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”