Planning app cycle Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
oyyyyyy

New

Planning app cycle

Post by oyyyyyy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:12 pm

I have been toying with the idea of law school, and finally decided I am going to do it part time. I just can't afford to quit my job for three years, but I can afford a few years of hard, hard work to further my education.

So... I have only taken one old LSAT. I did it at home and timed myself properly, and I scored a 170 on that. My cumulative undergrad GPA was 3.73. I have a BA and BS and graduated in 3.5 years, if anyone thinks that will matter for the schools I'm interested in.

I currently live in NOVA and work in DC at a law firm.

I plan to apply to:
Georgetown
George Washington
American
George Mason

I'll probably also pick somewhere on the west coast to apply for as a full time student in case I totally change my mind. Hey, what's another $80 at that point, right?

So, my general feeling is that while I could easily enough be prepared for the LSAT for the December administration, that would really be pushing my luck (especially for Georgetown) because I won't have a complete application by September/October. But I thought I'd check here just in case there's a different consensus than I am expecting.

As a sidenote, it looks like if I pull off a score around that first practice LSAT score, I have a pretty decent shot at Georgetown, especially part time. But if anyone has any opinions there, do share.

bdubs

Gold

Re: Planning app cycle

Post by bdubs » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:43 pm

You're in PT everywhere and have a very very good shot at Georgetown full time. You would have a good shot at Berkeley and would almost certainly be in at UCLA.

If you think you can nail a retake (172-176) then you might have a shot at Stanford.

oyyyyyy

New

Re: Planning app cycle

Post by oyyyyyy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:48 pm

To clarify, it was an old LSAT that I took at home - not one I actually sat for. So I know I need to take it a step at a time, but I feel as though with studying I can perform well when I do sit for it. I generally do well in standardized testing with preparation. (For example -- not that the SAT is the same beast at all -- on my first practice SAT I got 1100-something and when I took the real thing, I scored higher than I had ever scored in practice and got 1360.)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”