Newbie looking for advice on application time. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
firemed

Silver

Newbie looking for advice on application time.

Post by firemed » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:19 pm

I have tried to figure this out using the search function, but no luck so far... found a lot of info on people retaking LSAT, but not on first timers. I have never applied before and really don't know how this works. So, real quick, the question is:

I am taking LSAT for the first time in October. Should I fill out and send in all the apps in September and October, and then they will get my LSAT score and evaluate? Or should I fill out but not send anything to any school until I receive that score? Or am I unable to fill anything out without an LSAT score?

Rand M.

Silver

Re: Newbie looking for advice on application time.

Post by Rand M. » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:22 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:I have tried to figure this out using the search function, but no luck so far... found a lot of info on people retaking LSAT, but not on first timers. I have never applied before and really don't know how this works. So, real quick, the question is:

I am taking LSAT for the first time in October. Should I fill out and send in all the apps in September and October, and then they will get my LSAT score and evaluate? Or should I fill out but not send anything to any school until I receive that score? Or am I unable to fill anything out without an LSAT score?
You can do it however you choose. Schools will accept your application with or without a score, but the application will not be read/evaluated until there is a score attached. If you won't have to rush to submit it, there is no drawback to submitting without a score and then just letting the score get to the school whenever it is released. Good Luck!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:24 pm

October isn't late, just have everything else done before you get your score. Assuming you don't suck on the test, send your apps the day after you get it.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:25 pm

You can fill out the application for each school as soon as it becomes available on LSAC, and you can submit what you have, but as Rand McFarty mentioned, the school won't read it until you have an LSAT score. I'm not sure it makes any difference whether you submit it early. It's probably a good idea to get everything filled out and proofread before you get your score so you can submit it, but I doubt sending the rest of the package is necessary before the LSAC gives you your grade.

Uh, or yeah, what Rand + the other guy above me said.

brochocinco

New

Post by brochocinco » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:30 pm

I am in the same boat as you. For fear of wasting my money on applications to schools which will either be too far a reach or too much of a safety, I won't be submitting anything until I get my LSAT score. What I am doing though is filling out every application that becomes available from my school list. I have 1 LOR already in and attached to the apps, and both my PS/resume attached to every app on my school list. I also figured that most schools won't care about anything in my app until I have my LSAT score available. Submitting an application without an LSAT score September 1st or sumbitting a complete application November 1st isn't going to make a bit of difference in my eyes.

Basically, when my score becomes available, all I will have to do is read over my whole app then press submit. Plus, then I'll know if I'd like to ED to any schools or (god help me) retake the Decemeber LSAT.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks all!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”