_____ Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HopefullyLaw

New

_____

Post by HopefullyLaw » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:58 pm

_____
Last edited by HopefullyLaw on Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Re: LSAT Score - Possible Addendum

Post by bk1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:01 pm

Unless you get hit by a car on your way to the test, or something of a similar nature, don't write an LSAT addendum.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:05 pm

If law schools agreed with what you wrote they wouldn't place such a huge emphasis on the LSAT.

You need to explain why the LSAT doesn't reflect your personal abilities, not why the LSAT is a crock of shit. If you have a history of low test scores or some other objective criteria that would suggest the LSAT discriminates against you then you should highlight that. If you think the LSAT is a dumb way to judge applicants you're SOL.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:10 pm

do not send that !! :shock:

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:11 pm

Barbie wrote:do not send that !! :shock:
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:16 pm

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Wow. Admissions committees openly place great emphasis on the LSAT. An addendum which states that the LSAT is BS might not be taken seriously, no?

dooterdude11

Bronze

Post by dooterdude11 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:37 pm

Really, don't write this. It only says: I couldn't perform well so I'm trying to draw your attention away from "numbers."

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:59 pm

HopefullyLaw wrote:Questions with pre-determined answers command regurgitation. Such practices do not accurately represent reality for myself as an academic. The situations I hope to encounter in law school and as a legal professional resemble a large array of diversity. Legal cases involve more than the memorization and recitation of facts; they require both pragmatic and philosophical approaches to unique demands.
Don't know why no one pointed this out yet, but the LSAT is not a test that commands "regurgitation" or "memorization and recitation of facts."

Your addendum would not work. At all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:04 pm

Of course we're beating a dead horse at this point, but...

" should my LSAT score be lower than what I hope for in regard to specific schools, I feel an addendum would be necessary"

you feel incorrectly.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:22 pm

MiamiUG

New

Post by MiamiUG » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:07 am

HopefullyLaw wrote:So, I have yet to take the LSAT. However, I like to plan for all scenarios. I don't want to write an addendum where I provide bland examples of how standardized tests and I do not bode well. Please give me some thoughts on the below addendum and should my LSAT score be lower than what I hope for in regard to specific schools, I feel an addendum would be necessary. Thank you in advance.

Addendum - LSAT Score
Scores from standardized tests often become equated with success or failure. Questions with pre-determined answers command regurgitation. Such practices do not accurately represent reality for myself as an academic. The situations I hope to encounter in law school and as a legal professional resemble a large array of diversity. Legal cases involve more than the memorization and recitation of facts; they require both pragmatic and philosophical approaches to unique demands. Numbers do matter, but I do not think numbers properly predict the intellectual capabilities of those who seek to immerse themselves in legal studies. For these reasons, I ask the Law School to place trust in my academic record, professional experience and my promise to promote intellectual curiosity at every available opportunity. I humbly request that your organization grant acceptance of my application for admission to your fine academic institution.
I don't see how anyone in their right mind could think that this is a reasonable approach to an addendum. Law school officials aren't going to read this and say "ya know, I never looked at it that way before!" There have been plenty of critics of the heavy use of the LSAT in admissions, I don't think these schools need more whining and moaning from applicants who are supposed to be trying to impress them. /

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:09 am

You didn't need to state it, as it is very clear that you haven't yet taken the LSAT.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SullaFelix

Bronze

Post by SullaFelix » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:13 am

HopefullyLaw wrote:So, I have yet to take the LSAT. However, I like to plan for all scenarios. I don't want to write an addendum where I provide bland examples of how standardized tests and I do not bode well. Please give me some thoughts on the below addendum and should my LSAT score be lower than what I hope for in regard to specific schools, I feel an addendum would be necessary. Thank you in advance.

Addendum - LSAT Score
Scores from standardized tests often become equated with success or failure. Questions with pre-determined answers command regurgitation. Such practices do not accurately represent reality for myself as an academic. The situations I hope to encounter in law school and as a legal professional resemble a large array of diversity. Legal cases involve more than the memorization and recitation of facts; they require both pragmatic and philosophical approaches to unique demands. Numbers do matter, but I do not think numbers properly predict the intellectual capabilities of those who seek to immerse themselves in legal studies. For these reasons, I ask the Law School to place trust in my academic record, professional experience and my promise to promote intellectual curiosity at every available opportunity. I humbly request that your organization grant acceptance of my application for admission to your fine academic institution.
Isn't that precious. I bet they never considered that before. Well, at least you're the one unique applicant for whom such reasoning applies.

SullaFelix

Bronze

Post by SullaFelix » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:17 pm

HopefullyLaw wrote:Such practices do not accurately represent reality for myself as an academic.
Also, thinking about this a little more than it deserves, this line — and it's implicit dishonesty — really bothers me. Will standardized tests represent reality for you if you perform well?
Legal cases involve more than the memorization and recitation of facts
Also — the LSAT doesn't require memorization and recitation of facts.

This addendum would get you rejected at every school you apply to without a second thought.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”