rolling admission question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tapout

New

rolling admission question

Post by tapout » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Sorry if this is a repost, the search function is disabled.

I have noticed that lots of schools say they are rolling admissions. If I understand this correctly this means it's better to apply as early as possible?

I am not going to be able to take the lsats in Oct, which means that my application wouldn't get in as early as others. So if it's rolling admission, the way I understand this is that it hurts my chances to apply this way. And it might be better for me to wait until next year's cycle?

Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks.

Barbie

Gold

Re: rolling admission question

Post by Barbie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:29 pm

tapout wrote:Sorry if this is a repost, the search function is disabled.

I have noticed that lots of schools say they are rolling admissions. If I understand this correctly this means it's better to apply as early as possible?

I am not going to be able to take the lsats in Oct, which means that my application wouldn't get in as early as others. So if it's rolling admission, the way I understand this is that it hurts my chances to apply this way. And it might be better for me to wait until next year's cycle?

Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks.
If you are at/ above a schools medians, it probabaly will be okay to go ahead and apply after the Dec. LSAT. If you are really trying to get into schools with medians a little above your numbers, applying early can be VERY helpful, IMO. Just do well on the LSAT, and you'll be ok.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:37 pm

tapout

New

Post by tapout » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:50 pm

No , need all the help I can get. definitely can't take Oct lsat, and what has me a bit concerned is that can't really prepare well for Dec Lsat as of course I have school work and finals to prepare for.

Also, is it really rolling like my state u was (not sure if they actually sent back accept/rejec letters on a daily basis, or batched it up weekly, but people were hearing all the time), or do you think they group a whole bunch every 2 weeks or a month? For example, of law u is going to accept 250 applicants, and they find 250 good ones by Dec 1st, will there be nothing left on Dec 2? Just trying to get a better idea of just how important it is to get the app in early. Is it only way above average of the place they are applying people who apply in the later cycle that get in?

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:57 pm

acrossthelake wrote:If you can't apply till December, I'd personally just push off applying until next year's cycle if that works.
This is terrible advice. I applied late Dec/early Jan and did fine.

If you are dead set on Boalt, then you have to get your apps in by Thanksgiving. With other schools it helps but isn't reason to put it off for a whole year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arklogic

New

Post by arklogic » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:05 pm

Why not apply in Dec/Jan, and if the cycle doesn't turn out as well as you'd like, brush up your application (and possibly retake LSAT) and reapply?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:12 pm

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:15 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
existenz wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:If you can't apply till December, I'd personally just push off applying until next year's cycle if that works.
This is terrible advice. I applied late Dec/early Jan and did fine.

If you are dead set on Boalt, then you have to get your apps in by Thanksgiving. With other schools it helps but isn't reason to put it off for a whole year.
Meh, it's personal preference. It's what I would do in the situation. I've seen it make a difference at the schools I'm looking at.
arklogic wrote:Why not apply in Dec/Jan, and if the cycle doesn't turn out as well as you'd like, brush up your application (and possibly retake LSAT) and reapply?
They do ask on applications if you've applied before and IIRC, there's additional work involved. Though not necessarily a bad idea.
I applied to 2 schools last year (with WAY lower numbers) and reapplied this year to them (as safeties). I just sent the app yesterday to one of them. It just asked "When- What happened" and I wrote: Last year, I knew I could do better on the LSAT. it wasn't too bad.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:18 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:25 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Barbie wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
existenz wrote: This is terrible advice. I applied late Dec/early Jan and did fine.

Meh, it's personal preference. It's what I would do in the situation. I've seen it make a difference at the schools I'm looking at.
arklogic wrote:Why not apply in Dec/Jan, and if the cycle doesn't turn out as well as you'd like, brush up your application (and possibly retake LSAT) and reapply?
They do ask on applications if you've applied before and IIRC, there's additional work involved. Though not necessarily a bad idea.
I applied to 2 schools last year (with WAY lower numbers) and reapplied this year to them (as safeties). I just sent the app yesterday to one of them. It just asked "When- What happened" and I wrote: Last year, I knew I could do better on the LSAT. it wasn't too bad.
It's specific schools. I just remember reading r6philly mentioning it. Not necessarily a horrible drawback, though. If you can afford to apply twice, why not?
Agreed. Made them both give me a fee waiver this time. :)

tapout

New

Post by tapout » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:29 pm

There are a few issues:
1. can't take lsat in oct.
2. worried lsat in dec won't be as good as material not so fresh and can't spend time preparing
3. applying to schools where i am boderline, so need all the help i can get.

So trying to understand just how important it is to get application in early vs. later. See
tapout wrote:
Also, is it really rolling like my state u was (not sure if they actually sent back accept/rejec letters on a daily basis, or batched it up weekly, but people were hearing all the time), or do you think they group a whole bunch every 2 weeks or a month? For example, of law u is going to accept 250 applicants, and they find 250 good ones by Dec 1st, will there be nothing left on Dec 2? Just trying to get a better idea of just how important it is to get the app in early. Is it only way above average of the place they are applying people who apply in the later cycle that get in?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:34 pm

Barbie wrote:If you are at/ above a schools medians, it probabaly will be okay to go ahead and apply after the Dec. LSAT.

Not entirely true. Yes, you'll still stand a good chance of being admitted, but the money starts to dry up.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:59 pm

kalvano wrote:
Barbie wrote:If you are at/ above a schools medians, it probabaly will be okay to go ahead and apply after the Dec. LSAT.

Not entirely true. Yes, you'll still stand a good chance of being admitted, but the money starts to dry up.
This. Especially considering Dec LSAT means Jan score release (guessing). Most schools get backlogged because people submit over Christmas and they are closed for weeks. I'd make damn sure to have everything done or you could be looking at Feb for complete.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:23 pm

Get your app done before the LSAT. Have everything there just waiting for the LSAT score. You should go complete before christmas. Dec LSAT is not too late.

sven

Bronze

Post by sven » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:32 pm

-
Last edited by sven on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:35 pm

sven wrote:When people say "get your apps in early to get a better shot at your reach schools," what do they mean by 'early'? Is mid-October considered early enough to get a good shot? I'm borderline at a few schools and even though I already took my LSAT, I don't think I can get the PS done by mid-September.
Don't let your PS, of all things, hold you back! It is the one thing you can fully control the timing of (not LOR's, LSAT, transcripts, etc not so much) Start writing it NOW. Go ... go go go.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:36 pm

sven wrote:When people say "get your apps in early to get a better shot at your reach schools," what do they mean by 'early'? Is mid-October considered early enough to get a good shot? I'm borderline at a few schools and even though I already took my LSAT, I don't think I can get the PS done by mid-September.
It seems like if you apply in Oct. you're plenty early.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Barbie wrote:
Don't let your PS, of all things, hold you back! It is the one thing you can fully control the timing of (not LOR's, LSAT, transcripts, etc not so much) Start writing it NOW. Go ... go go go.
+1

sven

Bronze

Post by sven » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:44 pm

-
Last edited by sven on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:48 pm

sven wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Barbie wrote:
+1
Hahaha thanks, but I can't for the life of me figure out anything compelling to write about. And I'm shooting for HYSCCN, so I can't just give them some underwhelming stuff and hope to get in. Plus I'm moving cross-country for work next week and that messes stuff up. Oh well. But people are still taking the LSAT in October, so I guess I shouldn't stress out about it.
I was kind of the same way. Since you don't have anything amazing or exceptional to write about something more mundane but that requires some characteristics that would be beneficial in law school. My PS is about a goal of mine, and the circumstances that lead me to choose that particular goal, my method and how I reached that goal, what I did after I reached my goal, and a little bit at the end about how this goal led me to a particular interest in law.

Just pick something narrow and dig deep in it, give the adcomms insight into your personality, thought-processes, decision-making, and problem-solving, etc.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:50 pm

Talk about why you want to be a lawyer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”