Addendum for studying abroad Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dadengcrew

New

Addendum for studying abroad

Post by dadengcrew » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:50 am

I'm studying abroad this fall semester in Nepal and I'm going to be harder to reach than normal. Is this something I should write an addendum about or is there a better place to communicate this info on an application?

gdane

Diamond

Re: Addendum for studying abroad

Post by gdane » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:01 pm

dadengcrew wrote:I'm studying abroad this fall semester in Nepal and I'm going to be harder to reach than normal. Is this something I should write an addendum about or is there a better place to communicate this info on an application?
NO! Do not waste admissions committees' time with these types of "excuses". These committees have to read thousands of pages every cycle and they hate getting extra stuff. Don't do it.

This addendum will add nothing to your application. An addendum is used to "explain" a "weakness" in your application such as a low LSAT score, a low GPA or a split between your GPA and LSAT (high GPA, low LSAT and vice versa). An addendum is NOT used to explain how your study abroad curriculum was "harder than normal".

If you want to point out that this curriculum was difficult, include your study abroad experiences in your personal statement somewhere. Make it relevant though. If anything I wouldnt even bother mentioning this. More than likely a school isnt going to give you any kind of "boost" simply because you perceived a curriculum to be harder than normal.

Good luck!

dadengcrew

New

Post by dadengcrew » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:09 pm

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I'm studying abroad during the semester I'm applying. I'm not going to be reachable by phone and will not get email every day.

I was wondering how to tell the admissions committee.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:12 pm

dadengcrew wrote:I think you may have misunderstood my post. I'm studying abroad during the semester I'm applying. I'm not going to be reachable by phone and will not get email every day.

I was wondering how to tell the admissions committee.
Just email their offices and let them know if you've given anyone poa.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Wow!! I definitely did misread your question. Completely.

I apologize. I really have no idea how I completely misread your question. I guess its because Ive seen so many "do I write an addendum for this" questions here on TLS that the second I read that you were studying abroad, I thought you were asking if you should write an addendum regarding hard courses. I really apologize.

To answer your real question, you dont need to send an addendum. Just call the admissions offices of the schols youre applying to and let them know.

dadengcrew

New

Post by dadengcrew » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:38 pm

Thanks for the responses. No worries, I get frustrated reading through some of these threads sometimes too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”