Best job placement schools for NYC? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jdhopeful11

Bronze

Best job placement schools for NYC?

Post by jdhopeful11 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:59 pm

I'm having trouble finding an online source ranking the best NYC job placing schools, can anyone help?

I found a TLS article ranking the best placing NY schools for the NYC area, but I'm more interested in all schools in general.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Re: Best job placement schools for NYC?

Post by jdhopeful11 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:50 pm

bump it up

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:52 pm

The T14 in order, with slight boosts for schools whose main market is NYC (Columbia, NYU, Penn, Cornell)

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:55 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:The T14 in order, with slight boosts for schools whose main market is NYC (Columbia, NYU, Penn, Cornell)
GW or Fordham?

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:56 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:The T14 in order, with slight boosts for schools whose main market is NYC (Columbia, NYU, Penn, Cornell)
GW or Fordham?
Fordham for NYC specifically, GW for overall placement.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:58 pm

Disco_Barred's New York Placement Rankings:

1) The T14, in approximate order
2) A few other schools I usually can't be arsed to name. Fordham maybe? I don't know, UCLA or some shit?
3) The Abyss
4) Cooley, Florida Coastal, Ave Maria
5) People's College of Law

2ofspades

Bronze

Post by 2ofspades » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:11 pm

This. If you want to work in NY, then you should do what I did last year - I just found 1-2 dozen NY firms I knew worked in my area of interest, and I looked up their OCI schedules to see where they interview. All of them interviewed at the T14 and Fordham, and I don't think any interviewed at any other non-NY schools. Of course, the likelihood you will get a job at OCI depends your performance in school...but for the time being, looking at a few interview schedules at least offers a pretty clear picture of where NY firms think they are most likely to find their next associates.

Disclaimer: this from the limited experience of a rising 1L

lawschool2014

New

Post by lawschool2014 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:41 pm

jdhopeful11 wrote:I'm having trouble finding an online source ranking the best NYC job placing schools, can anyone help?

I found a TLS article ranking the best placing NY schools for the NYC area, but I'm more interested in all schools in general.
the T14 and the T14 only. Fordham is barely mediocre (its a way overrated school) and if you cant get into a t14, dont expect nyc big law because every graduate from a tier one school will be fighting for your new york city. You are prob somewhat smart, but prob cannot guarantee that you will be top 10% of your class, which is what you need to guarantee nyc placement. Its t14 or bust for nyc. good luck with your cycle!

P. Bateman

New

Post by P. Bateman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:45 pm

For NYC, I am assuming Columbia = NYU in placement, but is Penn = Cornell or is Penn noticeably better in NYC placement?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:49 pm

P. Bateman wrote:For NYC, I am assuming Columbia = NYU in placement, but is Penn = Cornell or is Penn noticeably better in NYC placement?
Penn.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:50 pm

hmm, i dont know what slight means. i'd be hard-pressed to say one would be better off taking Northwestern than Cornell, if one were certain they were NYC biglaw or bust. I think i might take Cornell over Berkeley if i were positive i would rather die than go anywhere but NYC.

but yeah, feel free to have the self-selection argument.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:36 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
hmm, i dont know what slight means. i'd be hard-pressed to say one would be better off taking Northwestern than Cornell, if one were certain they were NYC biglaw or bust. I think i might take Cornell over Berkeley if i were positive i would rather die than go anywhere but NYC.

but yeah, feel free to have the self-selection argument.
Because of self-selection, the data we need to resolve that is how deep NYC firms will dig at each school. I would guess that NYC-focused schools would get a bit of a boost, just because more of the hiring partners at NYC firms will be from those schools.

I would definitely choose Cornell over NW, but Boalt would be a tough choice. On the other hand, someone who's NYC or bust probably has good personal reasons to stay nearby that would trump any miniscule difference in placement.

YSS

New

Post by YSS » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:01 pm

P. Bateman wrote:For NYC, I am assuming Columbia = NYU in placement, but is Penn = Cornell or is Penn noticeably better in NYC placement?
lol maybe in the minds of NYU students

all objective data points to Columbia having a clear advantage in every tier of the v100

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

YSS wrote:

all objective data points to Columbia having a clear advantage in every tier of the v100
please define clear advantage...i was under the impression that nyu did extremely well in NYC.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:44 pm

ZXCVBNM wrote:
YSS wrote:

please define clear advantage...i was under the impression that nyu did extremely well in NYC.
They do...but place 5-10% lower than Columbia. NYU is a great school, but Columbia is greaterer.

bogart

Bronze

Post by bogart » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:01 am

having lived in nyc for some time you would be surprised how many people don't even know berkley exists. I would say cornell would move in behind hyscn.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:22 am

bogart wrote:having lived in nyc for some time you would be surprised how many people don't even know berkley exists. I would say cornell would move in behind hyscn.
Lay prestige is not the same as placement ability. I assure you that hiring partners are aware of Boalt. Take a look at the V10 OCI locations in the NALP Directory if you get a chance.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

twistedwrister

Bronze

Post by twistedwrister » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:42 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
ZXCVBNM wrote:
YSS wrote:

They do...but place 5-10% lower than Columbia. NYU is a great school, but Columbia is greaterer.
Depends what you mean by "places 5-10% lower than Columbia." Columbia sends more grads to firms (82% v. 75%), but that's because of NYU's PI focus (9% v. 3% at Columbia). NYU performed equally as well as, or perhaps slightly better than, Columbia during EIW/EIP last year. Biglaw placement power is essentially a wash. I'm friends with a hiring/managing partner at my summer firm, and according to him, NYU = Columbia for recruiting/hiring purposes.

bogart

Bronze

Post by bogart » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:48 am

cornell puts 60% in state. Berk puts 70% in cal, so cornell will place better. also, many of the firms that attend oci at cal are headquartered in nyc but are interviewing for their west coast offices. With the exception of hys the t14 is still more regional than people think. While options for some may be national, grads still tend to stay near to the schools (nw usually works in chi, not ny for example). Still if the op can get into cal or any other t14 school then nyc is of course a real possibility. But for best placement, the op is better off staying in the northeast.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:16 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
ZXCVBNM wrote:
YSS wrote:

This.
bogart wrote:having lived in nyc for some time you would be surprised how many people don't even know berkley exists. I would say cornell would move in behind hyscn.
WTF is this "hyscn" thing you're referring to? I've never seen that particular acronym. Plus, Cornell definitely doesn't place as well as Penn; so there's that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”