"Mrs." Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
powderpuff

New

"Mrs."

Post by powderpuff » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:13 pm

I just received a copy of a very strong and compelling LOR from a professor which he has already sent on to LSAC. He refers to me as "Mrs. X." I am married . . . but I go by "Ms." because I am an independent person who happens to be in a marriage. My point is, I don't want law school admissions people to assume that I will earn my law degree and then drop off the radar to raise kids and be "Mrs.X." In fact, my husband would very much like to be a professional house hubby. Is this a big deal or am I overeacting?

Deuce

Silver

Re: "Mrs."

Post by Deuce » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:15 pm

You're overreacting, Mrs. X.

thepunisher24

Bronze

Post by thepunisher24 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:15 pm

I hope this is a joke.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:16 pm

powderpuff wrote:I just received a copy of a very strong and compelling LOR from a professor which he has already sent on to LSAC. He refers to me as "Mrs. X." I am married . . . but I go by "Ms." because I am an independent person who happens to be in a marriage. My point is, I don't want law school admissions people to assume that I will earn my law degree and then drop off the radar to raise kids and be "Mrs.X." In fact, my husband would very much like to be a professional house hubby. Is this a big deal or am I overeacting?
hahaha... totally over-reacting.. I highly doubt any adcom is going to be like, "This candidate is great, except.. what's this? a "Mrs."? Guess she's just going to law school for kicks, DING."

powderpuff

New

Post by powderpuff » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:17 pm

LOL. I think whether spoken or not, law school adcomms want all of their students to go out and make a name for themselves (and for the school). I just don't want them to have this impression that I am married to some wealthy guy who is just sending me to law school so I will have something to do for the next 3 years and then sit on my duff for the next 20, living off his riches. Ha!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:17 pm

Just sue schools that don't let you in for illegal discrimination.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:18 pm

If you really want to show your independence for the adcoms, you should file for a divorce.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:18 pm

powderpuff wrote:LOL. I think whether spoken or not, law school adcomms want all of their students to go out and make a name for themselves (and for the school). I just don't want them to have this impression that I am married to some wealthy guy who is just sending me to law school so I will have something to do for the next 3 years and then sit on my duff for the next 20, living off his riches. Ha!
You Misses, are retarded.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:18 pm

powderpuff wrote:LOL. I think whether spoken or not, law school adcomms want all of their students to go out and make a name for themselves (and for the school). I just don't want them to have this impression that I am married to some wealthy guy who is just sending me to law school so I will have something to do for the next 3 years and then sit on my duff for the next 20, living off his riches. Ha!
I believe your best response to this problem is to right a targeted PS about women's rights and how you will force your husband into a traditional female gender role while you go out and be the breadwinner.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:19 pm

I hope you realize how insulting this is to the millions of married women who choose both to be a "Mrs." and to be a professional.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:19 pm

If you're just upset because it jars you, get over yourself.

If you honestly think it will affect your chances of admission, I don't think it would be out of place to call him, explain that admissions officers are crazy flaming liberals and will look negatively on such a wholesome, American appellation, and ask him to re-submit it.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:19 pm

I hope to God OP is flame.
Nom Sawyer wrote:
powderpuff wrote:I just received a copy of a very strong and compelling LOR from a professor which he has already sent on to LSAC. He refers to me as "Mrs. X." I am married . . . but I go by "Ms." because I am an independent person who happens to be in a marriage. My point is, I don't want law school admissions people to assume that I will earn my law degree and then drop off the radar to raise kids and be "Mrs.X." In fact, my husband would very much like to be a professional house hubby. Is this a big deal or am I overeacting?
hahaha... totally over-reacting.. I highly doubt any adcom is going to be like, "This candidate is great, except.. what's this? a "Mrs."? Guess she's just going to law school for kicks, DING."
That seems like a retarded assumption to make. LOL I'LL JUS GO SPEND 3 YEARS WORKIN MAH ASS OFF FOR 200K SOUNDS GRATE!

thepunisher24

Bronze

Post by thepunisher24 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:20 pm

oneforship wrote:If you really want to show your independence for the adcoms, you should file for a divorce.
This is really the only credited response here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

powderpuff

New

Post by powderpuff » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:21 pm

manbearwig wrote:
I hope you realize how insulting this is to the millions of married women who choose both to be a "Mrs." and to be a professional.
My insult is aimed toward the old traditional men who seem to think this is the case. Or that a women's place is in the kitchen. Of which, I become a fire hazard.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:21 pm

thepunisher24 wrote:
oneforship wrote:If you really want to show your independence for the adcoms, you should file for a divorce.
This is really the only credited response here.
Don't deny a man his sugar momma, even if she is fiercely, unnecessarily, and idiotically independent.

powderpuff

New

Post by powderpuff » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Okay - so no big deal then, apparently. Thank you all.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:23 pm

powderpuff wrote:
manbearwig wrote:
My insult is aimed toward the old traditional men who seem to think this is the case. Or that a women's place is in the kitchen. Of which, I become a fire hazard.
What, all 3 of them? No one thinks this is a reasonable thing to do, or that people do it.
Last edited by stratocophic on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:23 pm

powderpuff wrote:
manbearwig wrote:
You didn't write a specific insult, your whole vibe is just insulting.

powderpuff

New

Post by powderpuff » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:23 pm

On the flipside does it show a sense of maturity? I'm a non-traditional student, etc.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:24 pm

powderpuff wrote:
manbearwig wrote:
...Are you retroactively applying to law schools in the pre-1960s South?

(People like you give feminists a bad name.)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:24 pm

powderpuff wrote:On the flipside does it show a sense of maturity? I'm a non-traditional student, etc.
Do you think Admissions is going to do literary analysis on your letter of recommendation? I doubt they even read most of them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:24 pm

This is a gross overreaction. It's not a big deal at all. Relax. No one's even thinking about that but you.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:25 pm

Whoa, way to make a mountain out of a molehill Mrs. Fucking Retard...pardon me, Ms. Fucking Retard
Last edited by trialjunky on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

powderpuff

New

Post by powderpuff » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:25 pm

manbearwig wrote:
powderpuff wrote:
manbearwig wrote:
...Are you retroactively applying to law schools in the pre-1960s South?

(People like you give feminists a bad name.)
I don't understand - I'm not degrading the situation or feminists. My fear is that I will seen as a "Mrs." and not an independent woman.

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:26 pm

powderpuff wrote:On the flipside does it show a sense of maturity? I'm a non-traditional student, etc.
You maturity is clearly lacking if you let a little "Ms. vs. Mrs." confusion get you all up in arms.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”