question about transcript(emergency!) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
D7428

New

question about transcript(emergency!)

Post by D7428 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi, I'm an international applicant. i really don't know what to do in this situation. Please please help me. I graduated 'A' college in Korea. but once studied at 'B' college(another Korean school) for one month exchange summer program. i already put the B college on my institution list of LSDAS. however the B school said there is no record about me since they transfered all grades i got to my home university, A school. I got the grades from B school on my A school's transcript. But LSAC keep saying that all transcripts should be sent directly from the institution i attended.

so the B school saying that there is no record about me and they can't do anything for me, and LSAC saying that I should get the transcript from B school. :(

so i wonder if it's possible to apply law school with the transcript status (1 received 1 outstanding). if it's possible i can write an addendum explaining why i don't have one transcript. or do i have to delete the B school from my institution list of LSDAS? LSAC said i can delete it only if I got a letter from B school that I never attended the school. But i asked the B school if they can write such a thing and they said no. they said they are not going to do anything for me since i'm not their student. (i wonder if this kind of policy? is same in U.S.)
or can i get a certificate letter from my home university explaining why i can't get a transcript from B school? Will LSAC accept that?

anyone done this kind of thing before? please please help me.

kazu

Gold

Re: question about transcript(emergency!)

Post by kazu » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:13 pm

Ouch.. that sounds tough. I know a lot of problems can arise for applicants who graduated from foreign universities, since administration norms can vary widely. A friend of mine had the hardest time getting his school to send his own transcripts to LSAC - there was a strict "no-one can access a student's transcript except for the student himself" which applied to all university staff as well, and they couldn't understand why LSAC wouldn't accept transcripts sent by the student.

I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to send in applications if you have an outstanding transcript. You're going to have to ask 'B' university to write a letter saying that you were not a student there, or something of that effect. If they keep refusing (which seems unreasonable... maybe the professor who taught the class can prove that you were there or something?) you have to ask LSAC if they will accept a letter from A school explaining the situation.

I hope someone can offer you more concrete advice but there aren't that many foreign applicants, and you are in a very unique situation. I hope things work out for you.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:14 pm

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:53 pm

If the situation is what you say it is then "can i get a certificate letter from my home university explaining why i can't get a transcript from B school?" might be your only option.

Sticky situation! Good luck.

D7428

New

Post by D7428 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:04 am

Thank you guys!
I called all departments of schools (both A&B) which I thought it might know about my transcript. it's still unclear.... the officials don't know what to do in this uncommon case. (most of them even don't understand LSAC's policy) anyway I'll try but started thinking that I might not be able to apply law school. :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:16 am

Just another word of advice: when dealing with A & B, if you are politely persistent, apologetic and understanding of the fact that they may have to go out of their way to help you, chances are they will help out. It all depends on how you go about it.

Good luck :(

D7428

New

Post by D7428 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Kazu, you're right. I tried to be polite and the official from my home school sounds like he will do anything he can do for solving my problem.
Seems like I should delete the B school from my institution list. didn't know that it's so hard to delete school's name from list. have you ever heard of anyone who deleted an institution name from LSDAS list?

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:02 pm

Nevermind - I reread your post and realized you've already talked to LSAC...

Why in the world won't someone at B school write you a letter, that sucks...I am sorry :shock:

A letter from B school is your best way out...If you've only emailed I'd suggest calling LSAC

Contact a LSACCANDIDATE SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE:

Phone: 215.968.1001 and press 0 to speak to a representative

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:15 pm

D7428 wrote:Kazu, you're right. I tried to be polite and the official from my home school sounds like he will do anything he can do for solving my problem.
Seems like I should delete the B school from my institution list. didn't know that it's so hard to delete school's name from list. have you ever heard of anyone who deleted an institution name from LSDAS list?
From your original post it seems that LSAC said you need a letter from B school in order to do this? Since this seems unlikely, call LSAC and ask if they'll accept a letter from A school explaining the situation, and that B school flat-out refused to do so because they don't consider you their student (which is rather circular logic...) Hopefully LSAC will be understanding. If they say no, you're going to have to get that letter from B school somehow....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:27 pm

You need to communicate with someone at the LSAC who can deal with this directly. Write them a letter (with "VIA FACSIMILE AND US MAIL" above the address block ) fax it, and then mail it. Describe the problem precisely, and make it clear that it needs to be resolved on their end as these are foreign institutions with no awareness of or interest in compliance with LSAC procedure.

If you get more static, call the schools you are applying to and complain to their deans/assistant deans of admission, requesting that they contact the LSAC regarding your app. The LSAC exists to serve the admission offices as well as applicants and if they're getting it from both sides they are almost certain to do something about it.

If nothing else, ask THEM to strike School B from your LSDAS records by reasoning that in the educational system you're coming from the records only exist at School A and so receiving them from School A is in fact receiving them directly from the recording/reporting institution. Listing School B was, in essence, a clerical error.

D7428

New

Post by D7428 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:43 pm

yap! it sucks. but Korean public college(B school) is kind of conservative and doesn't want to involve anything it's not closely related.
by the way, i found that my summer class from B school can be categorized as an interinstitutional program. and LSAC's policy is

Interinstitutional Programs
The undergraduate work on your bachelor’s degree-granting institution transcript may include grades and credits earned through an interinstitutional agreement (e.g., cooperative, exchange, consortium, etc.). If your home school transcript clearly indicates that the coursework was completed through this type of program, and course codes, titles, grades, and credits earned appear on the home transcript and are included in the GPA, you need not list or request a separate transcript from the interinstitutional school attended. In these cases, your home school treats the coursework as if it were its own. This is not transfer credit. Consequently, the grades and credits will be summarized under the home school.

So I sent an e-mail requesting correction on my LSDAS institution list. but didn't hear any answer yet. just tried to call LSAC but realized it's not office hour now. you guys think LSAC will accept my request for deleting the B school? or you think, i still need some certificate letter from A or B school explaining that was really an interinstitutional program?

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:46 am

Forget email. Deal with this like a lawyer: fax them, and then post the letter. Invite them to respond via email if you like, but don't use it to make the request.

D7428

New

Post by D7428 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:24 pm

yap! i faxed them. when I called the official, sounds like she doesn't know what to do neither and just said that I need to fax transcript department. i'm waiting for the answer from JDCAS. do they use fax for reply?
anyway your advice is really helping me a lot. I'll let you know when i get the answer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:04 pm

D7428 wrote:yap! i faxed them. when I called the official, sounds like she doesn't know what to do neither and just said that I need to fax transcript department. i'm waiting for the answer from JDCAS. do they use fax for reply?
anyway your advice is really helping me a lot. I'll let you know when i get the answer.
No, they usually respond by snail mail.. and if you're overseas it can literally take a month to get the letter :roll: .

I'd say call them in a week to confirm the status of your request.

D7428

New

Post by D7428 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:20 am

:D the fax worked out. I just checked my lsac account and the B school is deleted. They didn't reply but just fixed it! It's over. Thank you guys. I would not be able to do this without your advice.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:34 am

Cool--glad it worked out.

It became clear that the first thing that the LSAC does in the morning is deal with the overnight fax queue during the winter storms last year when reports were being delayed and people were freaking out.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:38 am

Congrats!! Glad things worked out for you :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”