Military/ Law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tmro

New

Military/ Law school?

Post by tmro » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:55 pm

Hello, I'm a sophomore cadet in Army ROTC. I major in engineering and planned until recently going active duty after graduation, now I'm considering law school. Should I fulfill my obligation to the Army first, and then apply to law school, or apply for an educational delay, attend law school as a 2LT then go in as a CPT? My GPA isn't as great considering, so which would give me better chances? Or is this not even considered? Thanks

anli

New

Re: Military/ Law school?

Post by anli » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Do your service commitment first. It will be a nice soft, and more importantly, you will have the GI bill to cover the cost of law school. That is a tremendous financial benefit that I wish I had considered prior to law school myself.

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:04 am

Do your commitment first but know that you WILL NOT have the GI bill to pay for law school if you were a 4 year scholarship cadet. I served my time and took the LSAT in Afghanistan on my second deployment and since I am a combat vet I go to school for free in CT (and many states do the same thing). Get some real world experience and enjoy the traveling for a few years...you aren't too old when it's done and then you have time to sort things out in your head.

Drew

casper13

New

Post by casper13 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:10 am

Drew82abndiv wrote:Do your commitment first but know that you WILL NOT have the GI bill to pay for law school if you were a 4 year scholarship cadet. I served my time and took the LSAT in Afghanistan on my second deployment and since I am a combat vet I go to school for free in CT (and many states do the same thing). Get some real world experience and enjoy the traveling for a few years...you aren't too old when it's done and then you have time to sort things out in your head.

Drew
How and where did you do this. PM me if you want. Im in afghan now

tmro

New

Post by tmro » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:50 am

Are you considering going back in once you get your JD? And I'm a non-scholarship cadet so I'd still have the GI Bill?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:07 am

tmro wrote:And I'm a non-scholarship cadet so I'd still have the GI Bill?
Yes, absolutely.

Also, do your service first. A lot of schools like work experience before you attend law school and I'm sure they friggin' love military experience - its like work experience on crack.

BobbyDigital

New

Post by BobbyDigital » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:52 pm

I personally wish I would have gone to school first, then served. I'm not sure the "soft" is as much of a factor as many think, it really only depends on the individual school (some schools are more known to value military service than others). If it is the experience you're looking for--why not get it as a jag lawyer? Even if it is temporary, it can be great experience, especially if you're looking to work in the public sector.

Most important thing to consider imo is whether you are ready or not for law school. Looking back I don't think I would have been as driven and mature as I am now after waiting a few years and serving.

superjake

New

Post by superjake » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:08 am

Personally, I think you should fulfill military school first. So you can feel a sense of entitlement. Moreover, opportunities in life are likely to be more available with a greater chance of success. You can read on about military school through this link. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”