michigan state Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sharpnsmooth

Bronze

michigan state

Post by sharpnsmooth » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:41 pm

hey, i received an e-mail today from the associate dean of michigan state university (a mass e-mail) congratulating me on my lsat score, and talking about the scholarships that the school offers. i don't want to practice law in michigan, and don't want to go to a law school my #'s are no where close to, but i was wondering if getting such schools contacting me in pure solicitation from my stats is a good harbinger for things to come. i don't have the gpa or real work experience (i own a moderate small business, but that's really it) for a top 10, but i'm hoping to land a good deal to a top 25.

Hannibal

Gold

Re: michigan state

Post by Hannibal » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:43 pm

Nope. I got something from MSU as well and I hadn't even taken the LSAT or gotten my transcripts in yet.

legal_eagle

Bronze

Post by legal_eagle » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:19 pm

Same here

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:32 am

I've been getting something in the form of snail mail or email almost weekly for two months from MSU. The most recent solicitations say that I would be considered for scholarships from $8,000 to full tuition (based on my numbers). Then the snail mail asks me to call the letter's signer to discuss further so I did. I asked him about the scholarships with my numbers and the guy flats out tells me "oh, no with your numbers there's no way you would ever be considered for any of our scholarships - they wouldn't even look at your app in that regard." The way he said it was insulting. I went from planning to apply to being totally on the fence.

legal_eagle

Bronze

Post by legal_eagle » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:45 am

angiej wrote:I've been getting something in the form of snail mail or email almost weekly for two months from MSU. The most recent solicitations say that I would be considered for scholarships from $8,000 to full tuition (based on my numbers). Then the snail mail asks me to call the letter's signer to discuss further so I did. I asked him about the scholarships with my numbers and the guy flats out tells me "oh, no with your numbers there's no way you would ever be considered for any of our scholarships - they wouldn't even look at your app in that regard." The way he said it was insulting. I went from planning to apply to being totally on the fence.
what are your numbers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:47 am

legal_eagle wrote:
angiej wrote:I've been getting something in the form of snail mail or email almost weekly for two months from MSU. The most recent solicitations say that I would be considered for scholarships from $8,000 to full tuition (based on my numbers). Then the snail mail asks me to call the letter's signer to discuss further so I did. I asked him about the scholarships with my numbers and the guy flats out tells me "oh, no with your numbers there's no way you would ever be considered for any of our scholarships - they wouldn't even look at your app in that regard." The way he said it was insulting. I went from planning to apply to being totally on the fence.
what are your numbers?
You should try looking at Law School Numbers and seeing what others were offered.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:56 am

KMaine wrote:
legal_eagle wrote:
what are your numbers?
You should try looking at Law School Numbers and seeing what others were offered.
I did - people with my #'s were offered scholarships.

155ers were getting $30k-$90k with lower GPA's than mine.
Last year someone with a 148 got $12k.

I know they are close to breaking into the T2, so maybe this year they are going for that. But the way it was handled (blasting my inbox and then acting like I was nuts to ask (based on the letter) if I would be considered for scholarships).
Last edited by angiej on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:56 am

legal_eagle wrote:
what are your numbers?
155/3.8

legal_eagle

Bronze

Post by legal_eagle » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:35 am

angiej wrote:
legal_eagle wrote:
what are your numbers?
155/3.8
not too bad and its definitely in the MSU range.

My numbers are mid 150's (no official score yet. taking it oct.2010) and a 3.25 GPA so i'm hoping that 155ers with lower gpa's can get some kinda scholarship

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”