Take year off and retake or get year 1 done? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ada514514

New

Take year off and retake or get year 1 done?

Post by ada514514 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:53 pm

I think this is the most appropriate forum for this question, but not positive..Anyways any input whatsoever would be greatly appreciated, as I am literally at the tipping point and so torn what to do..

Took the LSAT last February with a 161...GPA is reported as 3.71, but will likely drop just slightly..I registered and WAS almost surely planning on attending an expensive, private law school here in Florida. After re weighing my options, costs, etc (I know I should have done this more thoroughly form the start), I decided to consider taking the year off and taking the October LSAT. The past few weeks I took 3 practice tests hitting 167 on each. I think with a little bit more studying I can hit 170+, which is the score I'm shooting for. My dream school would be one of the t20s, with a strong liking for GW or getting a scholarship at one of the t50s.

Law school literally starts in a week and half...should I rescind my admission, take the October test, and hope for the best? I know with just a few points higher, I can get also good amount of scholarships to a lot of the schools around here, and with a little improvement get to the school I really like.

Oh, and in the year off I plan on working for a little while and teaching English abroad for a few months as well. Thanks

Danteshek

Gold

Re: Take year off and retake or get year 1 done?

Post by Danteshek » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:55 pm

U Miami? You can probably do better with that GPA. How old are you? What would you do in intervening period? Did you get into UF or FSU?

ada514514

New

Post by ada514514 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:00 pm

22 years old.. Miami indeed. During year off, was planning on studying while working locally, then teaching English abroad for a little. Did not apply to UF or FSU as I originally had no intention of attending either school.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:04 pm

You are still very young. I think it would do you some good to wait at least a year before going to law school.

Why did you not consider UF or FSU? Are they not better options than Miami?

servinDizzert

New

Post by servinDizzert » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:07 pm

I'm in pretty much the exact same situation as you. Scored low-mid 170's on pts before I bombed the lsat. Low 160's now.

I feel like I would lose my grind and study methods if I took a full year off to work. But at the same time, I dont really want to settle on a law school.

Have to make my decision by tomorrow....still have no clue what I'm gonna do

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ada514514

New

Post by ada514514 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:08 pm

Rankings wise, both are slightly better, I just had a very narrow point of view at the time. By taking the year off, I would really work on getting the 170 and going the route of GW, as this was my dream school from the beginning. :?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:15 pm

ada514514 wrote:Rankings wise, both are slightly better, I just had a very narrow point of view at the time. By taking the year off, I would really work on getting the 170 and going the route of GW, as this was my dream school from the beginning. :?

GW is a tough school to get into. I say keep GW as a reach and have UF and FSU as your targets. Miami should be your safety. You may be able to reach higher depending on your new LSAT score.

When you withdraw from Miami, try to give them a legitimate reason.

ada514514

New

Post by ada514514 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:26 pm

I definitely understand its tough, but everywhere I look it seems like 168 or so would be on the higher end of their LSAT range...and my GPA is right in the middle of the pack as well...is that reasonable to say? Or am I just riding on wrong assumptions. If I knew UF or FSU were my most likely schools for next year, I think I would start up now as there is not a huge difference there...

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:11 pm

ada514514 wrote:I definitely understand its tough, but everywhere I look it seems like 168 or so would be on the higher end of their LSAT range...and my GPA is right in the middle of the pack as well...is that reasonable to say? Or am I just riding on wrong assumptions. If I knew UF or FSU were my most likely schools for next year, I think I would start up now as there is not a huge difference there...
For GW, 167/3.7 would be borderline but probably in. 168/3.7 is quite likely, 169/3.7 is in my opinion a lock. That's based on what I observed this past cycle, but who knows what the future holds.

All I know is if you have a dream, don't settle for anything less. Ever.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:26 pm

ada514514 wrote:I definitely understand its tough, but everywhere I look it seems like 168 or so would be on the higher end of their LSAT range...and my GPA is right in the middle of the pack as well...is that reasonable to say? Or am I just riding on wrong assumptions. If I knew UF or FSU were my most likely schools for next year, I think I would start up now as there is not a huge difference there...
I think there is enough a difference between UF and Miami to justify taking a year off. But I think you should take at least one year off regardless.

In my observation, the older a student is, the more likely that student will do well in law school.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:32 pm

Danteshek wrote:
I think there is enough a difference between UF and Miami to justify taking a year off. But I think you should take at least one year off regardless.

In my observation, the older a student is, the more likely that student will do well in law school.
I think maturity is more the key factor here rather than age. The ability to buckle down and dedicate yourself to the "cause" of 1L (and beyond) takes a good deal of maturity - which often comes with, but isn't limited to, age.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”