When to write a "Why X" Essay Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Deuce

Silver

When to write a "Why X" Essay

Post by Deuce » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:55 pm

For which schools should you write a "Why X" essay? Should it be every school you are reaching to, say above/below each median? At what point do you not need to write a "Why X" essay, above both medians/above both 75s?

Thanks!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: When to write a "Why X" Essay

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:58 pm

When you're above a school's 75th percentile in both GPA and LSAT it is a good idea to write a Why X essay (if they accept them) to avoid that school waitlisting you to protect their yield (offers eaccepted/offers extended). Actually you should write a Why X essay for any school to which you're applying that accepts them.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:38 pm

So every single school... that wouldn't come across as disingenuous at all?

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:40 pm

I wouldn't to any of the top 6. If you're waitlisted somewhere else that you should be in, write a LOCI later in the cycle. If they ask for one write one.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:44 pm

Ildeuce wrote:So every single school... that wouldn't come across as disingenuous at all?
Why? I assume that every school you're applying to has something about it motivating you to apply there. Putting that down in writing to show you have a genuine interest in the school (i.e. they're not just a last-resort safety or a "why the hell not?" application) in order to boost your chances and avoid yield protection isn't dishonest unless you say something to the effect of "if accepted I will definitely 100% attend no matter what" to multiple schools.

Also, schools won't see who else got a Why X essay from you, so as long as it's well-written and not a form letter or clearly a product of five minutes of googling, it'll just come off as a Why X essay to them.

Also, I only recommend writing a Why X essay with your app if they have that option on their app or are UVA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Ildeuce wrote:For which schools should you write a "Why X" essay? Should it be every school you are reaching to, say above/below each median? At what point do you not need to write a "Why X" essay, above both medians/above both 75s?

Thanks!
when either A) you have a really compelling reason to attend a specific law school or B) you enjoy wasting your time writing useless essays so that you could waste paper when law schools print copies of your applications

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:39 pm

capitalacq wrote:when...you have a really compelling reason to attend a specific law school
This is the response that I think is most helpful. The only "Why" essays that I wrote which I thought were actually decent were for schools that I actually liked and actually wanted to attend. If you write one and don't have a true discernable reason for attending, it'll show.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:51 pm

billyez wrote:
capitalacq wrote:when...you have a really compelling reason to attend a specific law school
This is the response that I think is most helpful. The only "Why" essays that I wrote which I thought were actually decent were for schools that I actually liked and actually wanted to attend. If you write one and don't have a true discernable reason for attending, it'll show.
So if my numbers are ~median for a school or a little above, I'd be better off with no essay?

ARTfulDodger

New

Post by ARTfulDodger » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:56 pm

I would personally write one only if it was one of my top schools. Or, in the event that I was waitlisted. It can't hurt to write an essay, regardless your numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:04 am

Ildeuce wrote:
billyez wrote:
So if my numbers are ~median for a school or a little above, I'd be better off with no essay?
If you really want to attend the school and think you can write about it in a way that doesn't sound canned, then go for it.

gbr12

New

Post by gbr12 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:07 am

If I'm above both 75th percentiles, should I mention financial aid as a reason? (I.e. "I am truly interested in your school, because I would like to get a fat scholarship and not have any debt.") Is that too slimy?

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:13 am

gbr12 wrote:If I'm above both 75th percentiles, should I mention financial aid as a reason? (I.e. "I am truly interested in your school, because I would like to get a fat scholarship and not have any debt.") Is that too slimy?
Very curious about that as well. I believe my decision is going to come down to sticker T14 vs. $$$$ at 20-40.

ARTfulDodger

New

Post by ARTfulDodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:14 am

gbr12 wrote:If I'm above both 75th percentiles, should I mention financial aid as a reason? (I.e. "I am truly interested in your school, because I would like to get a fat scholarship and not have any debt.") Is that too slimy?
That's extremely unprofessional. Don't do it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:30 am

I wouldn't do that either. If they want you, they'll offer the scholarship money.

ARTfulDodger

New

Post by ARTfulDodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 am

^^
Agreed :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”