Letters of recomendation question? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pip

Bronze

Re: Letters of recomendation question?

Post by Pip » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:28 am

acrossthelake wrote:
Pip wrote:While I'm glad to see all these people trying to follow the rules. I would suggest another thing.

Find a school that wants the letters signed and sealed by the prof, sent to them by you along with the other material...give those letters to a pool of professors you think you want to use. When you get the letter from them open it and see what they say. Do that for 5 or 6 profs and then find the ones that are giving you the best recommendation, now give those the ones that you want sent to the school you really are going to apply to.

Never trust a professor, you have no idea what they really think about you and could blast you out of the sky and you would never know it. Trust no one.
Wow. Just wow.

ETA: If you can't trust that professor, the professor probably wasn't a good candidate to ask anyway.
If you think there is anyone beyond your mother or father that you CAN trust, then you have a lot of learning to do. I've seen people stab others in the back numerous times. Often the person stabbed in the back believe they could trust the other person. Fact is protecting yourself from the professor that doesn't like you is only one reason. The other is to determine how much effort the professor will put into your recommendation. Some will truly spend time and effort into it while others will do the bare minimum... which one would you want in your application packet? The amount of effort that goes in does influence how your whole application is viewed and even your closest professor may be one who doesn't bother to do a bang up job on things recommendations...

Do you think the best lawyers leave anything to chance? Not on your life.

TommyK

Silver

Re: Letters of recomendation question?

Post by TommyK » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:54 am

Pip wrote:While I'm glad to see all these people trying to follow the rules. I would suggest another thing.

Find a school that wants the letters signed and sealed by the prof, sent to them by you along with the other material...give those letters to a pool of professors you think you want to use. When you get the letter from them open it and see what they say. Do that for 5 or 6 profs and then find the ones that are giving you the best recommendation, now give those the ones that you want sent to the school you really are going to apply to.

Never trust a professor, you have no idea what they really think about you and could blast you out of the sky and you would never know it. Trust no one.
Wow. And I thought I had trust issues. You should not be terribly surprised by the letters of recommendation you receive. I find Pip's advice to be morally suspect and worse than a bad idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”