Anyone think the 4.33 A+ is a bit silly for the LSDAS GPA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Matthies

Silver

Re: Anyone think the 4.33 A+ is a bit silly for the LSDAS GPA?

Post by Matthies » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:33 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:

I care if Harvard is hard or not, because I appreciate academic rigor (one of my major motivations to get into the law) ...oh, and I was inches from academia until a settled on the law
I don't know if I would classify law school as academically rigorous. I mean there are pretty much two extremes rampant grade inflation at the top schools and rampant grade deflation at the lower ranked schools. After the first year it's really just cruise control at that point, but the first year the hard part is figuring out HOW to study not so much WHAT you study. I know several people who were hoping law school was more academic than it turned out to really be (when compared to something actually academic like a Phd program) and where disappointed. Although beyond the JD, the LLM and JSD can be more academic than the first terminal law degree.

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:34 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Im just gonna summarize the way this argument is going to go...

1) Some person whines about A+'s as if people are getting into T14 solely on the back of their numerous A+s
2) Multiple people tell this person to shut up because it is stupid to even ask about
3a) Someone points out that the inequity between different majors is likely far more pointed than A+s can even account for
3b) Someone argues that the inequity between different schools is likely far more pointed than A+s can even account for
4) Thread devolves into an argument about difficulty of schools/majors.

Good for you. I suppose everything that has been discussed once should never be discussed again. Like Plessy v Ferguson.
Haha.. OP, you just definitively confirmed my opinion of you.

Good for you. Do you have an opinion on the actual question rather than trolling on the net finding a way to snark me because of a comment I made about certain courses at a certain school?

Should LSAC count A+'s? Should the top grade at every school be normed into the same GPA measure?

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Matthies wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:

I care if Harvard is hard or not, because I appreciate academic rigor (one of my major motivations to get into the law) ...oh, and I was inches from academia until a settled on the law
I don't know if I would classify law school as academically rigorous. I mean there are pretty much two extremes rampant grade inflation at the top schools and rampant grade deflation at the lower ranked schools. After the first year it's really just cruise control at that point, but the first year the hard part is figuring out HOW to study not so much WHAT you study. I know several people who were hoping law school was more academic than it turned out to really be (when compared to something actually academic like a Phd program) and where disappointed. Although beyond the JD, the LLM and JSD can be more academic than the first terminal law degree.

Well I was looking for something in between (PhD in pure sciences was a bit too...theoretical and pie in the sky for me after a few interviews, applied sciences bored the shit out of me for some reason) but ideally I'd like to work some in a mid sized client based law firm or a non profit after school, get a LLM, and teach and practice concurrently. Also interested in MES/MBE (Envir.Studies or Bioethics) in concert with my JD, so I think, like anything in this world, it is what you make it

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:42 pm

ajmanyjah wrote: Good for you. Do you have an opinion on the actual question rather than trolling on the net finding a way to snark me because of a comment I made about certain courses at a certain school?

Should LSAC count A+'s? Should the top grade at every school be normed into the same GPA measure?
Haha, Im the troll?? You are person on the internet speaking with authority on things you obviously have no more than a rudimentary grasp of. You sir, are the definition of a troll.

My opinion is that the 4.33 should stand because it rewards people for excelling without unreasonably harming others. The grades at every school are currently normed, its just that some schools choose not to give an A+ grade. Some schools also have no +/- grades at all so grades that would have been A- are instead giving a grade of A. Some schools use different grading scales. There are bunches of differences between schools.

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:46 pm

ajmanyjah wrote: I care if Harvard is hard or not, because I appreciate academic rigor (one of my major motivations to get into the law) ...oh, and I was inches from academia until a settled on the law

Not usually one to be snarky, but your comments in this thread are just a tad overboard...

And if you "appreciated" academic rigor so much why are you always going on about how you just partied/ hit on girls in college leading you to only a 3.5 GPA?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:47 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
Matthies wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:

Well I was looking for something in between (PhD in pure sciences was a bit too...theoretical and pie in the sky for me after a few interviews, applied sciences bored the shit out of me for some reason) but ideally I'd like to work some in a mid sized client based law firm or a non profit after school, get a LLM, and teach and practice concurrently. Also interested in MES/MBE (Envir.Studies or Bioethics) in concert with my JD, so I think, like anything in this world, it is what you make it
I practice environmental law, the environmental masters would be helpful for that area if your interested in it. At this point I'm of the opinion the JD is just to generalized and something needs to be added to the mix if you want to practice something like environmental law in a specialty area right out of the gate. Anything that will let you publish or reasrech (not something you can really do in JD other than your note) will be beneficial.

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:49 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote: Good for you. Do you have an opinion on the actual question rather than trolling on the net finding a way to snark me because of a comment I made about certain courses at a certain school?

Haha, Im the troll?? You are person on the internet speaking with authority on things you obviously have no more than a rudimentary grasp of. You sir, are the definition of a troll.

My opinion is that the 4.33 should stand because it rewards people for excelling without unreasonably harming others. The grades at every school are currently normed, its just that some schools choose not to give an A+ grade. Some schools also have no +/- grades at all so grades that would have been A- are instead giving a grade of A. Some schools use different grading scales. There are bunches of differences between schools.
Yes, thanks for all the insight into my life, being that you know my soul and qualifications through the internet. Praytell, what do I have a "rudimentary" knowledge of? Grading systems?

How can it not unreasonably harm others? Admissions is by definition, a zero sum game. If people do PERFECTLY in a course (assuming theoretical perfection academically is possible), there is an undue (and therefore, unfair, see zero sum) advantage to the person in the "A+" school.

And with this additional tiering, wouldn't it be more logical to compress everything into an equal interval? EG, Top A+=4.0, A=3.9, A-=3.7, while in the other school, place an A as a 4.0 and an A- as a 3.7?

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:49 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

Why reward a random few? Why not just standardize it? It makes no sense.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:51 pm

blink wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

But then you would take away yet anouther thing for people to obsevilly stress and argue over on the internetz!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:53 pm

Matthies wrote:
blink wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

But then you would take away yet anouther thing for people to obsevilly stress and argue over on the internetz!
Indeed, perhaps we should thank LSAC. This site wouldn't be as awesome as it is without topics such as these to argue over :D.

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:53 pm

Matthies wrote:
blink wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

Eh, these people could obsessively argue over the color of the sky. No love lost.

Sell Manilla

Bronze

Post by Sell Manilla » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:55 pm

I'm getting dragged off the internets so I can't read this whole thread before commenting, but, IMO:
It doesn't matter how difficult it is to get an A+. The fact is, it's possible for some people, & impossible for others. That is inequality, however small.
Yes there's inequality between majors & schools, not to mention inequalities at home, but this is an isolated instance of inequality that can easily be corrected for, and, IMO, SHOULD be corrected for.

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:56 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:A tad unfair, no? I mean, our undergrad union actually voted down an A+ addition at our school because we felt it not only cheapened the schools reputation but also its academic rigor...

Isn't it a terrible comparison when a non existent grade at my school boosts people beyond my GPA...

Anyone else think so?
Schools do look at your GPA percentile from your graduating school. If 4.2 wasn't that rare, schools would know it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:56 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote: I care if Harvard is hard or not, because I appreciate academic rigor (one of my major motivations to get into the law) ...oh, and I was inches from academia until a settled on the law

Not usually one to be snarky, but your comments in this thread are just a tad overboard...

And if you "appreciated" academic rigor so much why are you always going on about how you just partied/ hit on girls in college leading you to only a 3.5 GPA?

Um, always? I said when I was taking college courses AT HARVARD, I did so. Hell, at my UG, I did too, though not to the detriment of my research/courses...Not that they are mutually exclusive, I didn't realize that partying and thinking were orthogonal.

And the 3.5 included a 3.75 in my major, high honors, two theses, two other research stints, a freshman year under 3.0 in which I took Calc/Physics/Bio/Neuro/Chem, taking Orgo 1 and 2 as an elective, and beating the mean on every course (minus one English lit course) after first year...I wouldn't say "only" a 3.5

BTW-not dicksizing, btw, about my academics. It's just when you take no cake courses at ALL, it is a bit of a bother when people talk about "only" a x.x GPA

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:57 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:A tad unfair, no? I mean, our undergrad union actually voted down an A+ addition at our school because we felt it not only cheapened the schools reputation but also its academic rigor...

Isn't it a terrible comparison when a non existent grade at my school boosts people beyond my GPA...

Anyone else think so?
Schools do look at your GPA percentile from your graduating school. If 4.2 wasn't that rare, schools would know it.

They don't care! USNWR rankings don't care. It's a numbers game.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:57 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:

Anyone else think so?
Yeah but that doesn't matter so much since in the end that GPA is reported to USNWR, which calculates the all-important rankings.

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:57 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:

Anyone else think so?
Do they really?

My school puts the average grade in for every class I took...should I send the transcripts directly, as these'll be "lost in translation" through the LSAC gauntlet

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:59 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
cavebat2000 wrote:

Anyone else think so?
Do they really?

My school puts the average grade in for every class I took...should I send the transcripts directly, as these'll be "lost in translation" through the LSAC gauntlet
Nah, you got to send it to LSAC.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Do none of you realize that at some schools there are no +/- grades? I.e. 100-90=A 80-90=B.. this difference could potentially be worth a lot more than 2 or 3 A+s. Regardless, the best way to answer this stupid question is to have all schools report grades as raw percentages to LSAC. And even then you arent fixing anything because some schools will start allowing grades over 100.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:02 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Do none of you realize that at some schools there are no +/- grades? I.e. 100-90=A 80-90=B.. this difference could potentially be worth a lot more than 2 or 3 A+s. Regardless, the best way to answer this stupid question is to have all schools report grades as raw percentages to LSAC. And even then you arent fixing anything because some schools will start allowing grades over 100.
You really are an antagonist, tk <3

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:03 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Do none of you realize that at some schools there are no +/- grades? I.e. 100-90=A 80-90=B.. this difference could potentially be worth a lot more than 2 or 3 A+s. Regardless, the best way to answer this stupid question is to have all schools report grades as raw percentages to LSAC. And even then you arent fixing anything because some schools will start allowing grades over 100.
Um, then it would be compressed into a 100 scale, and as for the no + or - that would theoretically wash out because the directionality is mixed

The percentages would screw me if they were straight from courses, I remember the math and physics courses where the averages were below 50%...still, I think this would be the most fair

That, or simply use class rank/% and that is it
Last edited by ajmanyjah on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:03 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Haha, yea I am.. bored at work waiting for them to let me go... plus the OP pisses me off, A LOT.

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:04 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Haha, yea I am.. bored at work waiting for them to let me go... plus the OP pisses me off, A LOT.
Sad how the internet pisses you off. Funny how we are in the same boat.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Hannibal wrote:Not having an A+ would be a huge disservice to the students if you also have an A-.
lol my school. no A+, yes A- haha

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:08 pm

Last edited by Sentry on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”