Newbie Questions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RedTop

New

Newbie Questions

Post by RedTop » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:55 pm

Forgive me in advance if these questions are answered elsewhere on the forum.

Background: I am helping my girlfriend research law school admissions. She is 32, 6 years out of school, and has been teaching high school French in Canada.

So a few questions:

1) In reading profiles of the law schools, particularly the admissions sections, they all seem to say the same B.S. "We look at the personal statement," "We admit some students below our normal GPA/LSAT range and turn down some above," "We are looking for diverse backgrounds" and on and on. Is there any point in taking the specific comments on any school's profile seriously, or should I assume they all ultimately mean the same thing? If one school says "We look at the candidate's whole profile" and another doesn't say that, should I just assume it was a matter of omission, and that all law schools really look at pretty much the same things?

2) How much, if at all, will she be disadvantaged by taking the LSAT in December? Does it do any good to submit applications earlier if the LSAT won't be added to the file until mid-January?

3) Related to #2, how do schools look at multiple attempts at the LSAT? Is she better off taking it just once, in December, when she's had more time to prepare? She has really just started to study. It's not even clear she CAN take it in October, because all the test centers near her are already filled, and she doesn't drive, so it would be hard for her to get to one outside her cit.

4) How will law schools look at a foreign candidate? (Her main reason for law school is that she wants to move to the USA so we can get married.)

Thanks in advance.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by WestOfTheRest » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:04 pm

1) numbers are all that matter the rest if the BS on their sites means nothing
2)Depending on her numbers and where she is applying it could potentially destroy her chances at some schools. She will still get in some places.
3) Take it once and only once if possible. Only take it when you are fully prepared. If this means not applying until the next year, do that.
4)Schools will take foreign candidates. Being Canadian will most likely neither help nor hinder your app.

thecilent

Gold

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by thecilent » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:30 pm

Like to add that (generally) the higher up the rankings you go, the more the 'whole application' comes into play..

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”