Lewis and Clark vs. U. of Wash. want to work in Portland Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shadeswrinkle

New

Lewis and Clark vs. U. of Wash. want to work in Portland

Post by shadeswrinkle » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:20 pm

I have a 164/3.90 from last year and am retaking in October. I'll also have 1-2 years of work experience as a claims adjuster in Oregon depending on when I decide to go to law school, and I plan to go into insurance defense. If I want to work in Oregon with the option of moving back to Illinois (in case a family member should become ill or some other unforeseen circumstance), am I better served to go to Lewis and Clark or U. of Washington (or perhaps some other NW school I haven't considered)? I know U. of Washington is better in terms of ranking, but I would definitely be able to work while attending Lewis and Clark if I did their part time program (3 1/2 years). Anyone with an opinion is welcome to provide it, but please no spammers or doom and gloom prophets.

inchoate_con

Bronze

Re: Lewis and Clark vs. U. of Wash. want to work in Portland

Post by inchoate_con » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:56 am

Retake. You'll never get a job. 100K in debt. Just kidding...

Unless you're a WA resident, 164 is not a lock at UW. Seattle U is the only other PT school in the Pacific Northwest, and it's expensive but you'll get decent money.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:08 am

If I had your practice area as a target I would go to U of O. They'll probably offer you a small scholly and are cheap anyway.

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:47 am

Lewis & Clark, UW and UO all have a solid hold on Portland. More UW students stick around Seattle but there is a strong presence in Portland as most of the bigger Portland firms have offices in Seattle as well. If you want to have more mobility I would say go for UW but not sure how much play it would have in Illinois. Your numbers would suggest getting some money from L&C and UO but you may need a higher LSAT for UW.

shadeswrinkle

New

Post by shadeswrinkle » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:19 pm

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply. I appreciate it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”